Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Aug 2007
    • Posts: 164
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    /3:/ & /ə:/

    Does the symbol /3:/ in the word perk /p3:k/ have the same sound as /ə:/ symbol in the word pearl /pə:l/ ?

  1. chester_100's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 463
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: /3:/ & /ə:/

    Quote Originally Posted by Anne59 View Post
    Does the symbol /3:/ in the word perk /p3:k/ have the same sound as /ə:/ symbol in the word pearl /pə:l/ ?

    /ə:/

    As far as I know, such a sign does not occur in chart of the International Phonetic Alphabet. Schwa by nature can not be stressed; its an unstressed central sound.
    This sign /:/ is used to show a tense sound:
    Bead /bi:d/, dead /di:d/

    /3:/

    Yes. Perk and pearl are two one-syllable words that have the same vowel.
    /3:/ is a central vowel generally known as the hesitation sound.
    The lip rounding is neutral.
    The length of such a vowel is mostly due to the retroflection that occurs right after the central sound.

  2. konungursvia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 5,158
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: /3:/ & /ə:/

    It is also used to denote length.

  3. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: /3:/ & /ə:/

    Quote Originally Posted by chester_100 View Post
    /ə:/

    As far as I know, such a sign does not occur in chart of the International Phonetic Alphabet. Schwa by nature can not be stressed; its an unstressed central sound.
    This sign /:/ is used to show a tense sound:
    Bead /bi:d/, dead /ded/
    You're confusing actual usage in English with possibility of utterance. As K says, the colon denotes length and in principle any vowel sound can be lengthened. But, as you say, the transcription in English of 'bird', 'heard' etc uses the symbol /ɜ:/.

    (Your /di:d/ pronunciation of 'dead' is dialectal. They say 'dead' like that in Scotland, systematically - so that 'head' is /hi:d.).

    b

  4. chester_100's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 463
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Wink Re: /3:/ & /ə:/

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    You're confusing actual usage in English with possibility of utterance. As K says, the colon denotes length and in principle any vowel sound can be lengthened. But, as you say, the transcription in English of 'bird', 'heard' etc uses the symbol /ɜ:/.

    (Your /di:d/ pronunciation of 'dead' is dialectal. They say 'dead' like that in Scotland, systematically - so that 'head' is /hi:d.).

    b
    Exactly! As a more standard example, I would suggest deed /di:d/.
    I have also heard that the people living in those areas tend to replace /ei/ with /ai/; so STAGE will be pronounced /st ai j/.

    And one more thing: my points actually explain the mechanism of rhotic accents. So if you are a speaker of a non-rhotic dialect, you should note that after /3:/ the retroflection doesnt occur and the tongue almost remains in the central position until the lateral sound (in case of pearl) or the stop (in case of perk) is articulated. This way r will not be pronounced.

    Thank you all.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • Afghanistan
      • Current Location:
      • American Samoa

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 67
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: /3:/ & /ə:/

    Quote Originally Posted by Anne59 View Post
    Does the symbol /3:/ in the word perk /p3:k/ have the same sound as /ə:/ symbol in the word pearl /pə:l/ ?

    Of course not. There are two different sound symbols which have different pronunciations....I suggest you buy the Cambridge Pronouncing Dictionary CD, you can hear all sound symbols which includes British English sound symbols and American sound symbols, then you can hear the difference between /3:/ and /ə:/....



    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2ze9flu.jpg  

  5. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: /3:/ & /ə:/

    Quote Originally Posted by Anne59 View Post
    Does the symbol /3:/ in the word perk /p3:k/ have the same sound as /ə:/ symbol in the word pearl /pə:l/ ?
    Yes, they represent vocalic /r/; that is, [r] is a vowel here:

    perky p[r]ky
    pearl p[r]l
    earth [r]th
    burn b[r]n
    herd h[r]d

Similar Threads

  1. spelling-induced mistake & stress and rhythm
    By Sarahliu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-Mar-2009, 15:31
  2. name of: /ə/ & //
    By seba_870701 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23-Aug-2007, 22:15

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •