For all you know,……

This is a conversation. The man sitting in the chair thought that he is not good enough. And Byron Katie was helping him to investigate that thought.

"So, how do you react when you believe the thought "I'm not enough,"and you're sitting in this chair? For all you know, you are the most important human being in the world, and you're just not aware of it. You don't know; you can't know. It's only your mind that tells you otherwise. You're just believing what you think. It's okay; I'm just running that by you. "

For all you know,
    I'm not sure of the usage "For all you know" here, it's like the whole sentence can do it without that phrase, isn't it?

It's only your mind that tells you otherwise.
    From the context, does it mean "You don't know and you can't know that you are the most important human being in the world, because your mind tells you that you are not"?

I'm just running that by you.

I'm not quite sure what "running that by you“ means.

Thank you!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: For all you know,……

Quote Originally Posted by sarahmira View Post
    This is a conversation. The man sitting in the chair thought that he is not good enough. And Byron Katie was helping him to investigate that thought.

"So, how do you react when you believe the thought "I'm not enough,"and you're sitting in this chair? For all you know, you are the most important human being in the world, and you're just not aware of it. You don't know; you can't know. It's only your mind that tells you otherwise. You're just believing what you think. It's okay; I'm just running that by you. "

For all you know,
    I'm not sure of the usage "For all you know" here, it's like the whole sentence can do it without that phrase, isn't it?

It's only your mind that tells you otherwise.
    From the context, does it mean "You don't know and you can't know that you are the most important human being in the world, because your mind tells you that you are not"? Yes.

I'm just running that by you.
    I'm not quite sure what "running that by you“ means.Just suggesting it to you.

Thank you!
    Here "for all you know" means "you might be...you don't know"

Dear bhaisahab,

So, "For all you know,……" means "You might be the most important human being in the world, and you're just not aware of it, is that right?

I'm grateful to you for your help. :)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by sarahmira View Post
    Dear bhaisahab,

So, "For all you know,……" means "You might be the most important human being in the world, and you're just not aware of it, is that right?

I'm grateful to you for your help. :)
    Yes, that's what it means.