Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • Afghanistan
      • Current Location:
      • American Samoa

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 67
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Pronunciation of "W"

    Hi All,

    I don't know how to pronounce the letter of "W" correctly. In my country, I always hear people say "Dub Bee U".....but I checked some British dictionaries and the internet, they said the correct pronunication is "Double U"....Recently I checked one American Dictionary, the pronunication is similar to my country "Dub Be U", can any native speaker tell me how to pronounce "W" correctly?

    William

  1. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Pronunciation of "W"

    Quote Originally Posted by yiuho View Post
    Hi All,

    I don't know how to pronounce the letter of "W" correctly. In my country, I always hear people say "Dub Bee U".....but I checked some British dictionaries and the internet, they said the correct pronunication is "Double U"....Recently I checked one American Dictionary, the pronunication is similar to my country "Dub Be U", can any native speaker tell me how to pronounce "W" correctly?

    William
    Hi William

    The letter <W> has 3 syllables and is pronounced [dʌ'bl'ju:].

    [ʌ] as in up
    [ju:] as in you

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • Afghanistan
      • Current Location:
      • American Samoa

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 67
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Pronunciation of "W"

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    Hi William

    The letter <W> has 3 syllables and is pronounced [dʌ'bl'ju:].

    [ʌ] as in up
    [ju:] as in you
    The pronunciation of W is combined with Double and U, right? I understand there are 3 syllables, but I wanted to know if any people say "Doubee u"? As I hear some native speakers say "Doubee u" and the American talking Dictionary - Webster also pronounces "Doubee u" but not in British Dictionaries....anybody can explain it? Thanks.

    doubl|e ˈdʌb ə l


    U, u juː (= you)



  2. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Pronunciation of "W"

    Quote Originally Posted by yiuho View Post
    As I hear some native speakers say "Doubee u" and the American talking Dictionary - Webster also pronounces "Doubee u" but not in British Dictionaries....anybody can explain it?
    I've listened to Webster's and I don't hear "doubee'u". Sorry. What you're hearing appears to be a variant.

    What's the link to your UK dictionary?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • Afghanistan
      • Current Location:
      • American Samoa

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 67
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Pronunciation of "W"

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    I've listened to Webster's and I don't hear "doubee'u". Sorry. What you're hearing appears to be a variant.

    What's the link to your UK dictionary?

    I mean the CD versions of the UK dictionaries and the Webster's. Perhaps the web version has different pronunciation....

  3. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Pronunciation of "W"

    Quote Originally Posted by yiuho View Post
    I mean the CD versions of the UK dictionaries and the Webster's. Perhaps the web version has different pronunciation....
    Oh, I see. The phonetics are as follows: the [l] of [dʌ'bl'ju:] is omitted and so [j] turns into its vocalic counterpart [i], giving the sound [i:]--your <ee> in Dou'bee'u:

    [dʌ'bl'ju:] -> [dʌ'bi'u:]

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • Afghanistan
      • Current Location:
      • American Samoa

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 67
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Pronunciation of "W"

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    Oh, I see. The phonetics are as follows: the [l] of [dʌ'bl'ju:] is omitted and so [j] turns into its vocalic counterpart [i], giving the sound [i:]--your <ee> in Dou'bee'u:

    [dʌ'bl'ju:] -> [dʌ'bi'u:]
    Yes, this is what I mean. You are native speaker, I'd like to know do you hear people say Dou'bee'u in your country?

  4. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: Pronunciation of "W"

    Quote Originally Posted by yiuho View Post
    Yes, this is what I mean. You are native speaker, I'd like to know do you hear people say Dou'bee'u in your country?
    No, not that I can recall, but I have heard the pronunciation from people who live the southern parts of the States.

  5. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,035
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: Pronunciation of "W"

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    No, not that I can recall, but I have heard the pronunciation from people who live the southern parts of the States.
    That's why George W. Bush was known to some as 'Dubbya'.

    b


    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 343
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: Pronunciation of "W"

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    That's why George W. Bush was known to some as 'Dubbya'.

    b
    Hi All,

    Click on and listen the following link: Do you think the guy say "Dub bee u"?

    http://www.supload.com/listen?s=oPCpeX
    Last edited by Williamyh; 25-Nov-2009 at 07:42.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pronunciation of the sound "ae"
    By yangmuye in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-Oct-2009, 16:32
  2. [General] Pronunciation of "saw and bought"
    By ayad00 in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 14-Aug-2009, 16:12
  3. The best 5 websites to practice pronunciation
    By joshdowning in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-May-2009, 15:47
  4. The Pronunciation Rules and The Writing System
    By M.Mozaffary in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-Mar-2009, 23:27
  5. standard british pronunciation
    By fobos3 in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 21-Aug-2008, 17:22

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •