• Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

Post tense

is this correct?

If they would look at your I.D. and they saw that your an education student, they would be proud of you.

Re: tense

If they would look at your I.D. and they saw that your an education student, they would be proud of you.

If they would look at your I.D. and they saw see that your you're an education student, they would will be proud of you. impressed.

If they would look at your I.D. and they saw see that your you're an education student, they would be proud of you. impressed.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

Post Re: tense

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post

If they would look at your I.D. and they saw see that your you're an education student, they would will be proud of you. impressed.

If they would look at your I.D. and they saw see that your you're an education student, they would be proud of you. impressed.
    thanks!

please tell me the rule behind the corrections made for me to understand it better.

please help me again my dear teachers

Good for you, mamen - a questing mind!

Come on, everyone: your thoughts.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by mamen View Post
    thanks!

Please tell me the rules behind the corrections so I can understand them better.
    Okay, I'll take the easy one. A person will only be proud of you if that person is at least acquainted with you. Thus, a person who has just learned that you are an education student (or education major as they say in college) might be impressed, but won't be proud of you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

Post Re: tense

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Okay, I'll take the easy one. A person will only be proud of you if that person is at least acquainted with you. Thus, a person who has just learned that you are an education student (or education major as they say in college) might be impressed, but won't be proud of you.

thanks!

Is there any rules just like "subject-verb agreement."

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post

Hi!

If they look at your ID and they see that you're an education student, they will be impressed.

NoticesYou are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly at the top of your post. Please note, all posts are moderated by our in-house language experts, so make sure your suggestions, help, and advice house the kind of information an international language teacher would offer. If not, and your posts do not contribute to the topic in a positive way, they will be subject to deletion.
    Please don't ask us to do or correct your homework; this is a place to discuss language.

Staff Menu
    My PostsMy Subscribed ThreadsMy PostsMy Active ThreadsThreads I Posted In
    Go to Page...
    User Control PanelPrivate MessagesSubscribed ThreadsEdit AvatarEdit Your DetailsEdit OptionsContacts & FriendsMiscellaneousYour Profile

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes #1
    Today, 05:21
    prak_vanda@yahoo.com

present simple and present perfect simple
    May you tell me about the clauses that use present simple with present perfect simple?

prak_vanda@yahoo.com

Sponsored Links
    Today, 11:18
    omasta
    Current Location: Poland
    First Language: Polish
    Member Type: Student or Learner

Re: present simple and present perfect simple
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead
    May you tell me about the clauses that use present simple with present perfect simple?

Hi!
    If you mean the clauses with simple present and present perfect tenses put together into one sentence then I have one: She says (that) he has just gone out.

It's the conditional sentence type 1. The if clause is in the present tense, the main clause they will be impressed is in the future tense. You can change the order of the sentence (They will be impressed if they look at your ID and they see that you're an education student) and the meaning is the same. This type of sentence means that the action in the if clause is probable in present or future.

Note that when the if clause is in the middle of the sentence there is no comma.