• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

no other and no noun

Hello, teachers:
    Could you please clarify the difference between the sentence structures below?
    1. No other student in the class is taller than Peter.
    2. No student in the class is taller than Peter.
    I have haunted by it for a while. I sometimes see it in exams.
    I am unclear.
    Thanks for your help a lot!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: no other and no noun

Quote Originally Posted by WUKEN View Post
    Hello, teachers:
    Could you please clarify the difference between the sentence structures below?
    1. No other student in the class is taller than Peter.
    2. No student in the class is taller than Peter.
    I have haunted by it for a while. I sometimes see it in exams.
    I am unclear.
    Thanks for your help a lot!
    1. means that there is at least one student who is taller than Peter.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

But if Peter is a student in the class, the first means (to me) that he is the tallest. The second doesn't make sense because he IS one of the students and he can't be taller than himself.

Although I have to say, these exercises seem so silly. In real life, we'd say "Peter is the tallest student in his class."
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

'other' has the two meanings:
    1. referring to a person or thing that is different or distinct from one already mentioned or known about

2. referring to those remaining in a group after one person is picked out; those not already mentioned

So - "No student in the class is taller than Peter" is an absolute fact: Peter is the tallest.

"No other student in the class is taller than Peter":
    This could mean one of two things, depending on the situation.

So- imagine I'm seeking basketball players (who need to be tall - at least 6 feet tall). I go to a school, and walk into a class, and the teacher tells me that Peter is the tallest student in the class. He's only 5'10". I tell the teacher, I need students taller than that, and she/he replies:
    There's no other student in the whole school who is taller than Peter.
    This is an example of meaning (2), above: 'other' refers to every other student in the school.

Now - imagine I walk into a class, and immediately see John who is 6'1" and pick him out. Then...then at the back of class I see Paul, who is 6'4", and ask him to come to the front of the class. There might be some students who are away from class that day, so excitedly, I ask if there are other students in the class who are taller than John. The teacher replies, "There's no other student in my class - (that is, other than Paul) - who is taller than John."
    This is an example of meaning (1): 'other' here refers to Paul, the one other person in the class who is taller than John.

Note: there are other meanings, such as:
    3. the alternative of two :The other side of the street.
    Hold up one hand, then the other.

Moderator: Although I have to say, these exercises seem so silly. In real life, we'd say...

Perhaps. But the point for WUKEN is the elucidation of the meaning of 'other'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I have a name, you know.

I think that going back and forth over the finer points of things rarely said by natives isn't a better use of time than, say, time spent reading or listening to English as it's naturally used.

On the other hand, it's a better use than listening to rap music and trying to parse the grammar there.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

I think that going back and forth over the finer points of things...

Where is/was the "back and forth"? The trouble was, bhaisahab gave the most simplistic of replies, and had not addressed the 'finer points' of this question, never mind either of us ruminating!!!

If the implication is, that my response to this thread is 'unnecessarily specific', or 'tediously repetitive', please say so directly, that I don't waste my time in this forum by actually striving to impart a deeper, clearer understanding of our language.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 22-Nov-2009 at 22:56.