1. Unregistered

past tense

To whom it may concern,

I have problem with my past tense, could you suggest an easy way that I could pick out the wrong tenses in my sentences.

I often get comments like "ungrammatical, wrong tenses and confused" and "you do need to seek help in writing English".

Thank you

Tony

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: past tense

Do you want to post a paragraph that received that kind of feedback?
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Yes please.

In his speech, Bob Carr ingeniously combined US Bill of Rights to outright referendum rejection of the bill. At this stage of the argument, there was no clear intention of which bill of rights Australia were adopting. It could be UK Human Rights or New Zealand Bill of Rights or Universal Declaration of Human Rights but he lead us to believe US Bill of Rights was the debate. Bob Carr is well known for his expertise in US Bill Of Rights.

The first paragraph I used "ingeniously" received a comment "use word that you understand"

From the research articles, books and arguments that I have the privilege in reading, it comes to the fact that the right may not be so right but the wrong is also right. I believed that protecting the rights of all individuals and minorities is essentially imperative whether it is in a constitutional Bill of Rights or Charter of Rights or even in the statutory interpretation of Acts or Legislation. I agreed that Parliament could not issue a bill of rights for everyone because Australia has so many treaties with the United Nations and other countries. The bill of rights might in fact come into conflict with them.

The second paragraph, I think I shouldn't have add this in. Received a comment "you're confused".

Hello Barb D

I'm now registered as Tobeornot and as requested I have posted 2 paragraphs that received the comments I posted 3 days ago.

Could you suggest what I done wrong here.

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Hi Tobeornot,
    Sorry for the delay in my response. I think you posted while I was away for the Thanksgiving holiday.

In his speech, Bob Carr ingeniously combined US Bill of Rights to outright referendum rejection of the bill.

If he was ingenious, he was very clever in how he did this. Did you mean that he was very clever? I'm not sure what you meant by "outright referendum rejection." He combined the Rights to do something, but what was it that he did?

At this stage of the argument, there was no clear intention could you mean "indication" here instead of "intention"?of which bill of rights Australia were usually a country would take the singular, so "was." adopting. It could be UK Human Rights or New Zealand Bill of Rights or Universal Declaration of Human Rights need a comma here but he lead past tense - ledus to believe US Bill of Rights was the debate.
    It would be better to say that the US Bill of Rights was the SUBJECT of the debate, not just "the debate."

Bob Carr is well known for his expertise in US Bill Of Rights.

[/FONT]

From the research articles, books and arguments that I have if you want to say it's the past, then say "have had"the privilege in wrong preposition - privilege of reading, it comes downto the fact that the right may not be so right but the wrong is also right. Sorry, but I don't know what you mean here I believed that protecting the rights of all individuals and minorities is essentially using "essentially" weakens your statement. Say it is imperative without modifying it imperative whether it is in a constitutional Bill of Rights or Charter of Rights or even in the statutory interpretation of Acts or Legislation. I agreed "agreed" is past tense - do you still agree?that Parliament could not issue a bill of rights for everyone because Australia has so many treaties with the United Nations and other countries. The bill of rights might in fact come into conflict with them. This statement needs to be clarified. How could, for example, a right to a speedy jury trial come into conflict with treaties with other nations?

The second paragraph, I think I shouldn't have add this in. Received a comment "you're confused".[/QUOTE]
    I agree - it does read that way. What do you mean by saying right is right and wrong is right? You understand that "right" has two different meanings, right? Right=correct and right=something you are allowed to do without question.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Thanks Barb D

When you break down the paragraph I can see the errors.

I used 'ingenious' to mean 'clever' of what he did but did not explain what he did. Error on my part.
    Should have use 'indication' instead of 'intention'. Correct
    I need more clarification and explanation in parts.
    I did not know that using 'essentially' would weaken my arguement.
    The use of wrong preposition and tenses.

Could you tell me if there is a way or ways that I can use to identify these kind of errors in my essay?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Prepositions will come with time.

Use a dictionary to make sure you are using the right word.

Use simple sentences for now and build up as you become more proficient.

And read, read, read so that things feel more natural.

Thanks