On next week, In last year, Preposition is not necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
Hi All,

"I am going to Japan on next week" or "I am going to Japan next week."
"I went to HK in last year." or "I went to HK last year."

William

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi All,

"I am going to Japan on next week" or "I am going to Japan next week."
"I went to HK in last year." or "I went to HK last year."

William

No preposition is required. If you would like further clarification, please ask.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
No preposition is required. If you would like further clarification, please ask.

Thanks for your prompt reply. But I'd like to know, the sentence as follows, should we use preposition.

In next week, I'll go to Hong Kong.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks for your prompt reply. But I'd like to know, the sentence as follows, should we use preposition.

In next week, I'll go to Hong Kong.

No, you can simply say "Next week, I am going to Hong Kong" or "I am going to Hong Kong next week". Please note that if you have arranged to go to Hong Kong, use "am going to" not "will go", we use "will go" for snap decisions and "going to" for things that have been planned. For example, your boss says to you "I need you to visit the office in Hong Kong" you say "OK I'll go tomorrow/next week etc." in the evening you go home and say to your wife "I am going to Hong Kong on business tomorrow".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: "On next week, In last year, Preposition is not necessary?" It's not just unnecessary, it's necessary to avoid it, when the phrase after the preposition is adverbial. But in something like 'In next year's race I'll beat him', you do need the preposition.

b

Last edited:

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
bhaisahab and BobK, thank you very much for your teaching. I learnt a lot from you guys.....please correct me right away if you think my english has any problem. Thanks again.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other

Hi bhaisahab, as no one answer my question, I'd like to know when writing Resume or CV, one part is called "Working Experience" or "Work Experience"? Please advise. Thanks

Regards,

William

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
work experience

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Or simply "Experience" or depending on your experience, "Professional Experience"

(For example, my days waitressing, working as a lifeguard, and running a game at the Renaissance Festival, although fun jobs, don't show up on my resume under "Professional Experience.")

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
that's an experienced professional's opinion.

macanudo

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Japan
in, on, at are not used with next, last, this, that, one, any, some, every, or all (I think that's all of them). They are also not used with yesterday, tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, and the day before yesterday.

I just wrote up a blog article on this, read more on using prepositions.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
in, on, at are not used with next, last, this, that, one, any, some, every, or all (I think that's all of them). They are also not used with yesterday, tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, and the day before yesterday.

I just wrote up a blog article on this, read more on using prepositions.

Hi Macanundo, thank you for your information. But sometime I hear people say "At this time" "In this time", are they incorrect?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi Macanundo, thank you for your information. But sometime I hear people say "At this time" "In this time", are they incorrect?

"At this time" is perfectly correct as are "at that time"; "at any time"; "at one time"; "at all times".

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
"At this time" is perfectly correct as are "at that time"; "at any time"; "at one time"; "at all times".

Hi bhaisahab, can I say "We have dinner at ABC restaurant at 8 p.m. tonight"? Is the sentence correct? Please advise.

WYH

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi bhaisahab, can I say "We have dinner at ABC restaurant at 8 p.m. tonight"? Is the sentence correct? Please advise.

WYH

It's better like this:
"We will have/are having dinner at the ABC restaurant at 8 p.m. tonight"

Strictly speaking you don't need "p.m." and "tonight" one of them would suffice.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
It's better like this:
"We will have/are having dinner at the ABC restaurant at 8 p.m. tonight"

Strictly speaking you don't need "p.m." and "tonight" one of them would suffice.

"We are having dinner at the ABC restaurant at 8 tonight." If we use "We are having", does it mean the dinner is already started?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"We are having dinner at the ABC restaurant at 8 tonight." If we use "We are having", does it mean the dinner is already started?

No, because you have a future indication with "at 8 tonight".

Status
Not open for further replies.