• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

afforded to vs. afforded

1 The rule changes broadened the protections afforded to national banks against prosecution for violations of state civil rights and predatory lending laws and other banking statutes.

2 And just last week, Mr. Ghailani and his lawyers filed a formal motion to have his case thrown out, arguing that he had been denied a basic constitutional right afforded everyone in the federal court system: a speedy trial.
    Dear teacher,

These two sentence are taken from The New York Times which is a trusty website for me to learn English, since it has a sophisticated group of readers. But as you see, under alomst the same circumstance(passive voice) these two use different structures, one is "afforded to", but another one "afforded".

My grammar book would be happy to state when a sentence in active voice with two objects (direct and indirect object) was transformed to one in passive voice, usually a "to" or "for" is required to put before the indirect object. For instance,

1 My grandma told me an interesting story. (active voice)
    2 I was told an interesting story. (passive voice)
    3 An interesting story was told to me. (passive voice).

Could you please clarify it to me ? Thanks in advance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: afforded to vs. afforded

The "to" is redundant, and clearly unnecessary.

"Afford" in this instance means "supply, or give." One would not say, "I want to give to him a present."

However, it is not wrong. Simply another unnecessary filler word. Perhaps the journalist was paid by the word?

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: afforded to vs. afforded

You have quite some command of English...some mind!

mind: the element of a person that enables them to be aware of the world and their experiences, to think deeply.

Give me a moment to think and catch up with you, before I respond.

In the meantime, anyone else able to articulate the mistake that journalist ..."broadened the protections afforded to national..." is making?
    Last edited by Excalibur; 24-Nov-2009 at 07:14.