Difference between Anyone and Everyone?

Hi all,

What's the difference between Anyone and Everyone?

1. Everyone should keep quiet in the classroom.
    2. Anyone should keep quiet in the classroom.

William

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Difference between Anyone and Everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Williamyh View Post
    Hi all,

What's the difference between Anyone and Everyone?

1. Everyone should keep quiet in the classroom.
    2. Anyone should keep quiet in the classroom.

William
    "Everyone" means every person, so "everyone in the classroom" means every person in the classroom.
    "Anyone" means any person, so "anyone in the classroom" means any person in the classroom.
    Can you see the difference now?

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    "Everyone" means every person, so "everyone in the classroom" means every person in the classroom.
    "Anyone" means any person, so "anyone in the classroom" means any person in the classroom.
    Can you see the difference now?
    Thank you for your answer. I'm sorry, I don't quite understand the difference between every person and any person.....If there are a number of people in the classroom and I want to ask them to pay attention during the lesson, how I should say? Every person should pay attention during the lesson or Any person should pay attention during the lesson.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Williamyh View Post
    Thank you for your answer. I'm sorry, I don't quite understand the difference between every person and any person.....If there are a number of people in the classroom and I want to ask them to pay attention during the lesson, how I should say? Every person should pay attention during the lesson or Any person should pay attention during the lesson.
    There are a number of people in the classroom, if you ask everyone to pay attention you are asking every one of them, every individual, all of them, to pay attention. If, however, you say "anyone pay attention" it is meaningless because you are asking any one of them, any individual, not all of them, to pay attention. Do you see now?

Assume there are twenty students in the classroom. If your intention is to address the attention of all twenty students then the correct way is to say "everyone should be quiet in the classroom!". However if you use anyone then you need to clarify whom you address. Anyone can be used when you address certain students in the classroom, for example those chatting. "Anyone chatting should be quiet!".

Anyone is used when you address certain people in a crowd (e.g. not the whole crowd of people). When using anyone you need to clarify whom you address to distinguish them from the rest of the people, for instance, those wearing red jackets, those who are chatting, those with blue eyes etc.