• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

"... Kind of sth" is very difficult!

Q. Most students like to read ______ during their spare time.

a. these kind of books
    b. these kind of book
    c. this kind of books
    d. this kinds of books
    e. those kind of books

Of the choices given, I can easily remove "C" and "D" because according to the explanation of Longman Dictionary, "this kind/type/sort of" should be followed by a singular noun: for example, this kind of book. anyway, OA was "A", but I slightly doubt that. I think "B" is right because if 'these kind of books' is right, then 'those kind of books' will be also right due to no grammatical problem of those phrases in the blank. Thus, the correct answer must be "B" I think.
    What do you say of that?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: "... Kind of sth" is very difficult!

Quote Originally Posted by ilovepsycho View Post
    Q. Most students like to read ______ during their spare time.

a. these kind of books
    b. these kind of book
    c. this kind of books
    d. this kinds of books
    e. those kind of books

Of the choices given, I can easily remove "C" and "D" because according to the explanation of Longman Dictionary, "this kind/type/sort of" should be followed by a singular noun: for example, this kind of book. anyway, OA was "A", but I slightly doubt that. I think "B" is right because if 'these kind of books' is right, then 'those kind of books' will be also right due to no grammatical problem of those phrases in the blank. Thus, the correct answer must be "B" I think.
    What do you say of that?
    B is not possible because "these" doesn't accord with the singular "book". I don't like A either. In my opinion it should be either, "these kinds of books" or "this kind of book", neither of which are available as options.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    B is not possible because "these" doesn't accord with the singular "book". I don't like A either. In my opinion it should be either, "these kinds of books" or "this kind of book", neither of which are available as options.

Let me introduce the explanations of Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English. The following is in the Usage Note of the word 'type'.

Type , kind , and sort are countable nouns, and they must be plural after determiners with plural meanings:
    this type/kind/sort of + singular noun I don't like this type of thing. This kind of mistake is easy to make. Red wine goes well with this sort of dish.
    these/those types/kinds/sorts of + plural/singular noun How common are these types of illness(es)? Those kinds of colours look good with dark skin.

According to the above explanations, these/those types/kinds/sorts of can be followed by both singular noun and plural noun. However, there is no explanation on "these kind" or "those kind"

Therefore, we need more explanation about that. Let's see the one of Dictionary.com based on the Random House Dictionary. The following is that.

The phrase these (or those) kind of, followed by a plural noun (these kind of flowers; those kind of shoes) is frequently condemned as ungrammatical because it is said to combine a plural demonstrative (these; those) with a singular noun, kind. Historically, kind is an unchanged or unmarked plural noun like deer, folk, sheep, and swine, and the construction these kind of is an old one, occurring in the writings of Shakespeare, Swift, Jane Austen, and, in modern times, Jimmy Carter and Winston Churchill. Kind has also developed the plural kinds, evidently because of the feeling that the old pattern was incorrect. These kind of nevertheless persists in use, esp. in less formal speech and writing. In edited, more formal prose, this kind of and these kinds of are more common. Sort of has been influenced by the use of kind as an unchanged plural: these sort of books. This construction too is often considered incorrect and appears mainly in less formal speech and writing.

Depending on the above, 'these kind' or 'those kind' could be used in less formal situation. In short, we can come to say the phrase is somewhat right grammatically. Thus I think if "A" is right, then "E" must be also right. Consequently, is "B" the right answer?
    What do you think of that?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

There is no correct answer given.

But your reasoning is a bit strange. You make a case for A and E being considered correct by some people. And then, since two answers can't be right, you've chosen one that isn't considered correct by anyone!

(By the way, I agree with kon. in another post. You're probably wasting your time trying to get the correct answer on these. But at least you're looking up dictionaries, etc. That will help more than trying to choose a correct answer where none exists.)
    Last edited by Raymott; 25-Nov-2009 at 05:35.