Spoken English : You what? Guess What?

Hi All,

I always hear actors say "you what?" and "guess what?" when I'm watching American movies....I was wondering if it would be used in british english? What's the actual meaning of "you what?" and "guess what?" how do I use it properly? Apart from "you what?" and "guess what?" Please tell me more about this kind of English, I really want to learn it....Thanks

WYH

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Spoken English : You what? Guess What?

Quote Originally Posted by Williamyh View Post
    Hi All,

I always hear actors say "you what?" and "guess what?" when I'm watching American movies....I was wondering if it would be used in british english? What's the actual meaning of "you what?" and "guess what?" how do I use it properly? Apart from "you what?" and "guess what?" Please tell me more about this kind of English, I really want to learn it....Thanks

WYH
    I am sorry I cannot say anything for "you what." Maybe you are talking about "you know what?"

The expression "guess what" is an enthusiastic one, it means something like: "Can you guess what I am thinking?" or "Can you guess an interesting thing I am thinking about right now?"

The expression "you know what?" is similar to the previous one, it means something like "Do you know what I am thinking?" or "Do you know what I am going to talk about?"

Of course although both expressions have a question structure, the speaker does not expect them to be answered. In fact the speaker never expects his interlocutor to properly guess or know what he is thinking. This expression is just used as a kind of "link" to connect ideas. See the following examples:

- "Emily's English is becoming better and better."
    - "Yes, and you know what, I think she is planning to travel to London next year."
    - "Are you sure? Guess what? I think I'll do the same!"

How would you use these expressions in the "Outer Space Language" ?

PS Not a native speaker

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Spoken English : You what? Guess What?

Quote Originally Posted by Williamyh View Post
    Hi All,

WYH
    (NOT a teacher) Depending on the situation, "You what?!" could = You did what?! I can't believe it!!!