• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

would

Are both of these sentences correct?

He would never go to the Celtics because he's not willing to back up Rondo.

He would never go to the Celtics because he would not be willing to back up Rondo.

Is the second "would" redundant?

Thanks for the feedback.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: would

First, I am not sure what "back up Rondo" means - but IF it means "provide support to Rondo" [whoever/whatever that is] then I would suggest ...

There is very little difference, if any.

The first says that he has a continuing, ever-present reluctance to provide support, and that applies to past, present and future Celtics events.

The second says that won't go because, if he goes and only if he goes, he would not be able to provide support. It does not say he has an abiding inability to support. In fact, if he stayed home, Rondo might be able to count on him.

Substitute "is unable to see from those seats" and "wouldn't be able to see from those seats" and you may see the subtle difference?

Maybe someone else can supply a better substitution to clarify the difference?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: would

It's about basketball - the Celtics are a team and Rondo is a player.

I find the first more natural, but nothing wrong with the second one. As jlinger says, IF he went there, he wouldn't want to back him up - but he doesn't want to back him up now anyway.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.