Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear Teachers,

Although I know many people use both of them and “I like ~~ the most” is more popular than “I like ~~ most” (search result from google: 1070 links for “I like * most” without “the” and 15000 links for “I like * the most”), I still feel strange about the usage of “the” in this sentence, because “most” here should be an adverb to describe “like” and how can “the” ever be put in front of an adverb?

The question has been confusing me for a long time, so I will be glad if someone can explain it to me clearly.

In addition, is it true the native speakers tend to use "the best" in this pattern when the object is a person? For example "I like my mother the best." is more preferable to "I like my mother the most."?

With regards,

Sula54

Last edited:

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
"most", note the suffix -est, is a superlative. That's its form, and it's either introduced by "the", a definite article, or followed by "of all", which is also defining:

I like her the most.
I like her most (of all).

"of all" is often omitted, which is probably why "most" was not as common as "the most" in your search.

In addition, is it true the native speakers tend to use "the best" in this pattern when the object is a person? For example "I like my mother the best." is more preferable to "I like my mother the most."?

I use both forms. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.