• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

flop/go bust/suture/galley/awaking with a start/concussion/in a flashback

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

1. Movie flops aren't just about losing money. Yes, big budgets that go bust are one consideration.

flop = a complete failure

go bust = become bankrupt, financially ruined

2. After the initial shock of the crash passes, Jack retreats to a quiet area beyond the beach to tend to his own minor injuries when he notices Kate Austen watching him. He asks for assistance, which she reluctantly gives by helping suture the wound on his back.

suture = put stitches in (medical term)

3. Sayid Jarrah (Naveen Andrews) organizes a clean-up crew, while Hurley salvages meals from the plane's galley and distributes them to the survivors.

galley = the kitchen of an airliner, ship, or camper

4. Charlie disappears into the bathroom while Jack and Kate find the pilot (Greg Grunberg) awaking with a start from a concussion.

awake with a start = come to one’s senses

concussion = concussion of the brain

5. Kate asks Charlie what he was doing in the bathroom, and he says he was sick, but in aflashback, it is revealed that Charlie had been doing drugs in the bathroom, and attempted to flush his stash but had been prevented by the sudden onset of turbulence.

in a flashback = in the episode or scene depicted by means of a literary or cinematic device in which an earlier event is inserted into the normal chronological order of a narrative

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: flop/go bust/suture/galley/awaking with a start/concussion/in a flashback

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Companies (you couldn't imagine going bust) in the last recession are going to the wall this time round
    It feels much worse than the 1990s - there are much fewer options to rescue businesses today. In the past you could go to another bank or small-business owners could re-mortgage and use equity from their homes - today that is next to impossible

1. Movie flops aren't just about losing money, it is also associated with non-fulfillment of high expectations and loss of reputation. Yes, big budgets that go bust are one consideration that leaves fewer options to rescue business .

flop = a complete failure, debacle (when related to play or movies)=a place to sleep for the night; a bed in a flophouse. : I am looking for a flop for the night.

go bust = become bankrupt, financially ruined

2. After the initial shock of the crash passes, Jack retreats to a quiet area beyond the beach to tend to his own minor injuries when he notices Kate Austen watching him. He asks for assistance, which she reluctantly gives by helping suture the wound on his back.

suture = put stitches in (medical term) OK

3. Sayid Jarrah (Naveen Andrews) organizes a clean-up crew, while Hurley salvages meals from the plane's galley and distributes them to the survivors.

galley = the kitchen of an airliner, ship, or camper Ok

4. Charlie disappears into the bathroom while Jack and Kate find the pilot (Greg Grunberg) awaking with a start from a concussion.

awake with a start = come to one’s senses

concussion = concussion of the brain=common type of traumatic brain injury, Ok

5. Kate asks Charlie what he was doing in the bathroom, and he says he was sick, but in aflashback, it is revealed that Charlie had been doing drugs in the bathroom, and attempted to flush his stash but had been prevented by the sudden onset of turbulence.

in a flashback = in the episode or scene depicted by means of a literary or cinematic device in which an earlier event is inserted into the normal chronological order of a narrative=A recurring, intensely vivid mental image of a past traumatic experience

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    SKp