• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • United States

what does this mean?

This sentence is from my reading assignment. IT's too long that it really confuses me. Could anyone explain what the author meant to say by this, please?

Adolescents, boys and girls, form deeply sentimental attachments, walk and talk together-not so much to polish their wits as to share their hopes and fears and dreams, to form a common front against the world of school and family and to join in a kind of mutual discovery of each other's and their own inner life.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: what does this mean?

Quote Originally Posted by onetwothree View Post
    This sentence is from my reading assignment. IT's too long that it really confuses me. Could anyone explain what the author meant to say by this, please?

Adolescents, boys and girls, form deeply sentimental attachments, walk and talk together-not so much to polish their wits as to share their hopes and fears and dreams, to form a common front against the world of school and family and to join in a kind of mutual discovery of each other's and their own inner life.
    ***NOT A TEACHER***Maybe it means something like this: Teenagers form very close friendships with one another. They walk and talk together not because they really want to discuss class assignments but to share their hopes, fears, and dreams in a world that is ruled by their parents and teachers. In this way, they are able to explore and better understand their inner feelings and those of their friends.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: what does this mean?

It's all about solidarity.