• Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

Post any

what is the difference between the two?

Do you have any suggestion?

Do you have any suggestions?

My friend told me that the first one sounds unfamiliar to him.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: any

Yes, use the plural.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

The first asks for only one suggestion, the second invites multiple suggestions.

Some situations would only likely have one reason to be the way they are, others are more multiple choice.

The money was on the desk when I locked up last night. It's gone now. Do you have any suggestion as to where it went? [I do! I think you took it, and I expect you to confess.]

I have two weeks off and $1000 burning a hole in my pocket. Do you have any suggestions as to where I might go?

jlinger: The money was on the desk when I locked up last night. It's gone now. Do you have any suggestion as to where it went? [I do! I think you took it, and I expect you to confess.]

I have two weeks off and $1000 burning a hole in my pocket. Do you have any suggestions as to where I might go?

Great examples.

Can you see that it depends on the number of possibilities that the speaker imagines: 'suggestions for the theme of some party or social occasion ( everyone come as their favourite film character; OR, everyone come as an animal; OR.......

and

as in jlinger's example, any suggestion as to "who robbed me". If you used 'suggestions' in this example, it would imply that all the workers are potential thieves. To use 'suggestion' limits it to the implication of only 'one bad apple in the barrel'.