Student or Learner
Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?
1. Something must still be missing if Jonah still feels you’re under a cloud.
under a cloud = under suspicion, in trouble, or out of favor; to be depressed or very sad
2. This is where other people call in and get to dump on what you said.
dump on = attack with words; criticize
3. Well folks, it’s time to wrap it up.
to wrap it up = to finish it
4. He is the meanest man in America.
mean = rude, abusive or unpleasant
5. Phone service in the greater Chicago area was tied up for two hours yesterday.
tied up = total busy
6. That’s the bearing wall.
bearing wall = wall that helps support the weight above it, including a second story or roof
7. Generally speaking, I think we should rule out anyone who doesn’t live near here.
rule out = eliminate from consideration, exclude
Thank you for your efforts.
Last edited by sarat_106; 03-Dec-2009 at 05:55.