Do Posters Receive "Thank You" Alerts Here??

Hello, everybody:

I ask questions a lot on this forum and have been blessed to have very nice, patient and knowlegeable teachers answering my questions. Usually after they answer my questions I'd click the "say thank you" button on the bottom right. But I wonder do posters receive "Thank you " notifications when they sign in?? If not, I might be regarded as an impolite and disrespectful poster who doesn't even say "thank you " afterwards.

This is a very important question. Because I don't want to behave bad.
    If nobody gets "thank you" notifications , I'd start posting them in my threads.

Bird

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: Do Posters Receive "Thank You" Alerts Here??

I don't think we get such notifications at all. I don't.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

No, we don't.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

You can go to a person's profile (including your own) and look at the Statistics tab. That tells you how many time that person has clicked on the thanks button and how many times that person has received thanks. You can then view the threads for either category.

Don't forget that there are people like me who will say "Thanks!" in the thread but forget to click the button, so it's not really the decisive vote of whether you are appreciated.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

No, helpers are not notified when they receive a "thank you". At least I do not. And you are not impolite at all. Many students do not even know what you are talking about. And this is sad. It is not that helpers are here to solicit thankful recognition and to wallow in fame and glory. However, they are not robots who have not feelings. They expect the occasional polite gesture, you know. This is not comme ill faut to say nothing after you have got what you wanted. And what is not polite may cause inconvenience in people, including those who have helped you. One good turn deserves another. This is how polite society works.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

While we're on the topic, I personally find "Could you please help me with this?" instead of "Edit my essay" far more important than a thanks afterwards.

Both are nice, of course, but I tend to ignore things that say "Fix this" or "Give me a list of irregular verbs" without any sort of polite request. I realize this may be cultural, it's how I feel.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    While we're on the topic, I personally find "Could you please help me with this?" instead of "Edit my essay" far more important than a thanks afterwards.

Both are nice, of course, but I tend to ignore things that say "Fix this" or "Give me a list of irregular verbs" without any sort of polite request. I realize this may be cultural, it's how I feel.
    It is etched into the minds of living things to defy imperatives.

Don't forget that there are people like me who will say "Thanks!" in the thread but forget to click the button, so it's not really the decisive vote of whether you are appreciated.
    Well, further explanations on my stats:

When I first came to this forum I used to post "thank you " in my threads instead of clicking the button. That's why my threads outnumbers my "thank you"s sent. But after I discovered the "thank you" button I began to use it, presuming answerers get alerts.

How sad they don't. From now on I'm going to post THx in threads .

Thank you all for answering.

xoxo

Bird

Well, I usually try to be as polite as I can. At least in Chinese, imperatives are not so polite either.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Don't worry! You're great!