• Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

good, horrible,speak

Dear teachers,
    I have five questions to ask:

No.1
    She made a favorable impression on the inerviewers.
    Can I use "good" here?

No.2
    Being lost in the desert was a terrible experience.
    Can I use "horrible", "frightening", "scaring"?

No.3
    It would be nice if we could have him come and speak on his recent visit to Fance.
    First, is "speak on" the same with "speak about"?
    Second, can I use "talk on"?

No.4
    I've never met a person nicer than Mary.
    Can I use "kinder"?

No.5
    As time went by she became less anxious.
    Can I use "worried"?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

Jiang

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Re: good, horrible,speak

Yes to all except #4 Jiang, although the difference in meaning between 'nice' and 'kind' is small, they have different meanings.

HTH

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hi,
    Could you please explain what different meanings do they have here?
    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.
    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
    Yes to all except #4 Jiang, although the difference in meaning between 'nice' and 'kind' is small, they have different meanings.

HTH

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Hi,
    Could you please explain what different meanings do they have here?

Jiang
    Yes but you would not benefit. Better you look in the dictionary.

3. Junior Member
    English Teacher

No.1
    She made a favorable impression on the inerviewers.
    Can I use "good" here?
    Yes (but check your spelling of the last word!) With "impression" the following are common collocations:

make a good / favo(u)rable / positive / excellent / strong impression on somebody

give a good / positive / favo(u)rable / excellent / strong impression (to somebody)

No.2
    Being lost in the desert was a terrible experience.
    Can I use "horrible", "frightening", "scaring"?
    Yes to "horrible" and "frightening" but no to "scaring". Typically, "scaring" is used only as a verb or verbal not as an adjective. For instance, I might say "Stop making so much noise because you are scaring the children." The correct adjective to use would be "scary".

Here's a challenge for you: would "fearful" also be suitable? Why or why not?

No.3
    It would be nice if we could have him come and speak on his recent visit to Fance.
    First, is "speak on" the same with "speak about"?
    Second, can I use "talk on"?
    Yes to all. You could also say "talk about".

No.4
    I've never met a person nicer than Mary.
    Can I use "kinder"?
    Yes, but the meaning would be slightly different as another poster has suggested.

No.5
    As time went by she became less anxious.
    Can I use "worried"?
    Yes. You could also use "concerned".

In the future, you could try a helpful trick to find answers like these yourself. You will need access to a computer that can connect to a search engine like Google.

Visit Google and search for the phrase you are interested in. Make sure you use double quotation marks ("like this") around the phrase. Then click "Search". If Google shows a lot of hits, then you know the prhase is a common expression. If Google shows only a few hits, then the phrase is unlikely to be common.

For example, I just did a Google search for "good impression" (with the quotation marks) and got 343,000 hits. This is a lot, so you can see that it is a common expression. However, when I searched for "nice impression" Google only showed 31,500 hits which means it is not a very common expression (so you shouldn't use it!)

I hope this helps.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hi crclee,
    Thank you very much for your help.
    I searched "scaring experience" and got 3,920 results. So to me sometimes the website is not that reliable.
    I think "fearful" is also correct.
    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by crclee View Post
    Yes (but check your spelling of the last word!) With "impression" the following are common collocations:

make a good / favo(u)rable / positive / excellent / strong impression on somebody

give a good / positive / favo(u)rable / excellent / strong impression (to somebody)

Yes to "horrible" and "frightening" but no to "scaring". Typically, "scaring" is used only as a verb or verbal not as an adjective. For instance, I might say "Stop making so much noise because you are scaring the children." The correct adjective to use would be "scary".

Here's a challenge for you: would "fearful" also be suitable? Why or why not?

Yes to all. You could also say "talk about".

Yes, but the meaning would be slightly different as another poster has suggested.

Yes. You could also use "concerned".

In the future, you could try a helpful trick to find answers like these yourself. You will need access to a computer that can connect to a search engine like Google.

Visit Google and search for the phrase you are interested in. Make sure you use double quotation marks ("like this") around the phrase. Then click "Search". If Google shows a lot of hits, then you know the prhase is a common expression. If Google shows only a few hits, then the phrase is unlikely to be common.

For example, I just did a Google search for "good impression" (with the quotation marks) and got 343,000 hits. This is a lot, so you can see that it is a common expression. However, when I searched for "nice impression" Google only showed 31,500 hits which means it is not a very common expression (so you shouldn't use it!)

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by jiang; 03-Dec-2009 at 09:14.

4. Junior Member
    English Teacher

Hi crclee,
    Thank you very much for your help.
    I searched "scaring experience" and got 3,920 results. So to me sometimes the website is not that reliable.
    I think "fearful" is also correct.
    Jiang
    Hi

You're right that the Internet is not always reliable, but honestly, 3920 hits is a tiny number if you think about how many web pages are on the Internet. Also, do that search again. If you look at the first ten results you'll see that some of them are actually somebody's name, such as "John Scaring's experience with..." So you can see that actually the number of examples is even smaller than 3920.

Anyway, I think "fearful" would not be natural in this situation. The reason is that "fearful" like some other adjectives, is almost always used to describe a person or animal not a thing because it describes an emotion. In your original question you were asking about "experiences" but experiences don't have emotions. (For the same reason, a scared experience or a frightened experience would not make sense.)

I hope this helps.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Dear Crclee,

Thank you so much for your explanation.
    That's the problem. For us if there is the usage then we would think it is correct. That's why I feel sure when a native speaker tell me whether you use it or not.
    Have a nice weekend.
    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by crclee View Post
    Hi

You're right that the Internet is not always reliable, but honestly, 3920 hits is a tiny number if you think about how many web pages are on the Internet. Also, do that search again. If you look at the first ten results you'll see that some of them are actually somebody's name, such as "John Scaring's experience with..." So you can see that actually the number of examples is even smaller than 3920.

Anyway, I think "fearful" would not be natural in this situation. The reason is that "fearful" like some other adjectives, is almost always used to describe a person or animal not a thing because it describes an emotion. In your original question you were asking about "experiences" but experiences don't have emotions. (For the same reason, a scared experience or a frightened experience would not make sense.)

I hope this helps.