Which one is correct?

We met with the tax officer.
    We met the tax officer.
    Both. No difference.

1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Re: meet vs meet with

Hi,

I am not a teacher, but I have come across something relevant recently. There is a blog on Merriam-Webster's site by Peter Sokolowski (their "editor at large" as he would have it) which addresses the difference between 'meet' and 'meet with'. I am unable to post the link, but essentially, he says that 'meet' and 'meet with' overlap in meaning, so that they both can mean "to come together in order to talk". However, only 'meet' can mean "to encounter someone or something for the first time". So, you can say "He met his wife at work" but not "He met with his wife at work", when this refers to their first ever encounter. And, "Pleased to meet you" when you are being introduced to somebody and not "Pleased to meet with you." However, he says, in some cases 'meet with' is preferred even though 'meet' would also be possible, as in "We are meeting with the architect today to discuss the plans." So, I suppose the same logic applies to meeting with tax inspectors.

Best,
    Beubeck

Quote Originally Posted by beubeck View Post
    Hi,

I am not a teacher, but I have come across something relevant recently. There is a blog on Merriam-Webster's site by Peter Sokolowski (their "editor at large" as he would have it) which addresses the difference between 'meet' and 'meet with'. I am unable to post the link, but essentially, he says that 'meet' and 'meet with' overlap in meaning, so that they both can mean "to come together in order to talk". However, only 'meet' can mean "to encounter someone or something for the first time". So, you can say "He met his wife at work" but not "He met with his wife at work", when this refers to their first ever encounter. And, "Pleased to meet you" when you are being introduced to somebody and not "Pleased to meet with you." However, he says, in some cases 'meet with' is preferred even though 'meet' would also be possible, as in "We are meeting with the architect today to discuss the plans." So, I suppose the same logic applies to meeting with tax inspectors.

Best,
    Beubeck

thanks

Could u pls mail me the link referred in your reply to amitsinghal89@yhaoo.com

2. Newbie
    Student or Learner

[QUOTE=amitsinghal89;542010]thanks

Hi, apparently because I don't have enough posts I can neither send you a link nor post it on this site, but if you go to learnersdictionary (the extension is .com), you will find on top of the page a blog called 'Ask the editors'. Go to the archive of this blog and then choose the month of August. You will see this topic about half way down the page.

Best,
    beubeck