• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

'Epithet' or 'metaphor'

Upon the defeat of an army in battle, a trumpeter was taken prisoner. The soldiers were about to put him to death, when he cried, " Nay, gentlemen, why should you kill me? I do not fight," said he; "I only blow this instrument, and surely that cannot harm you. This hand of mine is guiltless of a single life." " Yes," replied the soldiers ; " but with that braying instrument of yours you incite others, and you must share the same fate as they."

"Words may be deeds."

- Aesop

1. The theme of this story deals with __________.
    a. the conduct of a wartime musician
    b. punishment for soldiering
    c. individual responsibility in wartime
    d. treatment of prisoners
    e. a prisoner trumpeter

2. Calling the trumpet a braying instrument is a(n) _____.
    a. simile
    b. epithet
    c. metaphor
    d. euphemism
    e. metonymy

My most curious question of the above two is 2, especially the difference between 'epithet' and 'metaphor'. In my opinion, 'metonymy' seems not to be the correct answer.
    What is the difference between 'epithet' and 'metaphor'? Please, give me some explanations and examples.

P.S. What about the first question?

Re: 'Epithet' or 'metaphor'

Quote Originally Posted by ilovepsycho View Post
    Upon the defeat of an army in battle, a trumpeter was taken prisoner. The soldiers were about to put him to death, when he cried, " Nay, gentlemen, why should you kill me? I do not fight," said he; "I only blow this instrument, and surely that cannot harm you. This hand of mine is guiltless of a single life." " Yes," replied the soldiers ; " but with that braying instrument of yours you incite others, and you must share the same fate as they."

"Words may be deeds."

- Aesop

1. The theme of this story deals with __________.
    a. the conduct of a wartime musician
    b. punishment for soldiering
    c. individual responsibility in wartime
    d. treatment of prisoners
    e. a prisoner trumpeter

2. Calling the trumpet a braying instrument is a(n) _____.
    a. simile
    b. epithet
    c. metaphor
    d. euphemism
    e. metonymy

My most curious question of the above two is 2, especially the difference between 'epithet' and 'metaphor'. In my opinion, 'metonymy' seems not to be the correct answer.
    What is the difference between 'epithet' and 'metaphor'? Please, give me some explanations and examples.

P.S. What about the first question?
    Hi! I' not a teacher

In my opinion:

1. c
    2. c

epithet - a word of praise or blame (usually an adjective or a descriptive phrase), and if in a pejorative context it can be disparaging or abusive:

An overweight singer in some opera theatre was called a "prima tonna" instead of 'prima donna'.

metaphor - a word or phrase suggesting a likeness or anology between different objects and ideas:

A glaring injustice; the ship ploughs the sea.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Quote Originally Posted by omasta View Post
    Hi! I' not a teacher

In my opinion:

1. c
    2. c

epithet - a word of praise or blame (usually an adjective or a descriptive phrase), and if in a pejorative context it can be disparaging or abusive:

An overweight singer in some opera theatre was called a "prima tonna" instead of 'prima donna'.

metaphor - a word or phrase suggesting a likeness or anology between different objects and ideas:

A glaring injustice; the ship ploughs the sea.
    Thank you, especially your example "prima tonna" is gripping. But I wonder why you chose "C, or metaphor" but "B, or epithet". According to your explanation, the braying instrument could be the right answer? 'Braying' is an adjective or a descriptive one, and expresses sarcasm in the context.

In addition, is it that I think 'A glaring injustice' is oxymoron such as 'a bitter sweet experience, a defening silence, etc'?

I still cannot discern exactly the subtle difference between them: epithet and metaphor.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Thank you, especially your example "prima tonna" is gripping. But I wonder why you chose "C, or metaphor" but "B, or epithet". According to your explanation, the braying instrument could be the right answer? 'Braying' is an adjective or a descriptive one, and expresses sarcasm in the context.

In addition, is it that I think 'A glaring injustice' is oxymoron such as 'a bitter sweet experience, a defening silence, etc'?

I still cannot discern exactly the subtle difference between them: epithet and metaphor.
    I believe it is both a metaphor and an epithet, so B and C are equally right.
    Correct answers for the first are A, C, D, E.
    In any case, the sentence "The theme of this story deals with ..." is incorrectly written. It should read "The theme of this story is ..." or
    "This story deals with ..."

"In linguistics, an epithet can only be a metaphor, essentially a reduced or condensed appositive."
    Epithet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Let me introduce another explanation in another site.
    The following is from TrysB in another site:

-----------------------------------------------
    Thanks for the interesting quote and questions. Aesop's fables were a favorite of mine as a kid and I still enjoy reading them.

I would say the answer to 1 is c. The trumpeter says he should not be held responsible or accountable because he does not wield a weapon, but his captors point out that his music is as much a weapon as a sword in the hands of a soldier.

Calling the trumpet a braying instrument would be a metaphor, likening it to the loud braying of a donkey although I don't really see how this would translate into a sound that would incite soldiers to battle.

An epithet is a usually unflattering descriptive word added to a name, so the word braying could be considered an epithet.

Thanks for the thought-provoking question.

TrysB
    ----------------------------------------------

What do you think of that?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Calling the trumpet a braying instrument would be a metaphor, likening it to the loud braying of a donkey although I don't really see how this would translate into a sound that would incite soldiers to battle.

An epithet is a usually unflattering descriptive word added to a name, so the word braying could be considered an epithet.
    What do you think of that?
    Given that he's agreeing with me that it's both an epithet and a metaphor, I can only agree with him.