in the receiving line

New York, December 2 (ANI): US President Barack Obama and wife Michelle were left in fumes after learning that a fame-hungry couple had crashed their first state dinner in honour of Indian PM Manmohan Singh.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs revealed the couple were reeling over the security breach by Tareq Salahi and his wife Michaele, who are auditioning for an upcoming US reality TV show.

"It's safe to say he was angry. Michelle was angry," the New York Post quoted Gibbs as saying on MSNBC.

The Salahis walked past the camera crews and reporters like other high profilers attending the event on November 24.

The couple shook hands with President Obama, posed for pictures with Vice-President Joe Biden, and also met the First Couple in the receiving line.

Source : Party Crashers Met Obama in Dinner?s Receiving Line - Yahoo! News

Please tell me the meaning of "in the receiving line" here.

Re: in the receiving line

Quote Originally Posted by user_gary View Post
    New York, December 2 (ANI): US President Barack Obama and wife Michelle were left in fumes after learning that a fame-hungry couple had crashed their first state dinner in honour of Indian PM Manmohan Singh.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs revealed the couple were reeling over the security breach by Tareq Salahi and his wife Michaele, who are auditioning for an upcoming US reality TV show.

"It's safe to say he was angry. Michelle was angry," the New York Post quoted Gibbs as saying on MSNBC.

The Salahis walked past the camera crews and reporters like other high profilers attending the event on November 24.

The couple shook hands with President Obama, posed for pictures with Vice-President Joe Biden, and also met the First Couple in the receiving line.

Source : Party Crashers Met Obama in Dinner?s Receiving Line - Yahoo! News

Please tell me the meaning of "in the receiving line" here.
    Hi!

My guess is that it is a sort of greeting and welcoming guests lining a large and long reception room.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

At formal affairs people stand in line for the opportunity to meet and exchange pleasantries with the host or hosts. That line is called the receiving line. (I guess the phrase comes from reception.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Did it really say "in fumes"?? "Fuming" means very angry, but "in fumes" has no idiomatic meaning.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.