• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Question there

In an American movie, a babysister first met her employee and the little boy. She said to the little boy, "You must be Sam. That's quite a cowboy outfit you have there'.

Does the word of there mean the definition as below?

Used to express feelings such as relief, satisfaction, sympathy, or anger:

If no, please explain it for me. If yes, please give me a few more examples. I don't know how to use it.

Thank you very much!

2. Junior Member
    English Teacher

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: there

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    In an American movie, a babysister first met her employee and the little boy. She said to the little boy, "You must be Sam. That's quite a cowboy outfit you have there'.

Does the word of there mean the definition as below?

Used to express feelings such as relief, satisfaction, sympathy, or anger:

If no, please explain it for me. If yes, please give me a few more examples. I don't know how to use it.

Thank you very much!
    Hi

Your idea is a good one, but it does not match the example given.

In the example you quoted, "there" is simply a way of saying "that you are wearing". So, the sentence means something like:

That's a very nice cowboy outfit that you are wearing.

Depending on the context, this usage of "there" could also mean "in your hand" or something similar. Here are a couple of examples:

1.A. That's a beautiful ring you have there.
    1.B. That's a beautiful ring you have on your finger.

2.A. That's an interesting-looking book you have there.
    2.B. That's an interesting-looking book you have on your desk.

I hope this helps, and I'll leave you with a challenge. Could "here" be used in this same way?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Hi there,

Thank you very much for your reply. You are helpful. I've understood it.

As to the challenge for me, I think 'here' is not applied to such a case, because to a speaker, it is there, where something is not near the speaker, but the listener. In other words, to a speaker, it's there, while to the listener it is here. Am I right? This is my assumption, and I cannot find it in my dictionary.

By the way, I enjoy the way how you replied to the post of my question. You didn't simply give me the key.

First, you encouraged me, then illustrated it clearly, and finally gave me a new relevant question. You are very instructive. I would say you are an excellent teacher.

Best regards!

4. Junior Member
    English Teacher

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Hi there,

Thank you very much for your reply. You are helpful. I've understood it.

As to the challenge for me, I think 'here' is not applied to such a case, because to a speaker, it is there, where something is not near the speaker, but the listener. In other words, to a speaker, it's there, while to the listener it is here. Am I right? This is my assumption, and I cannot find it in my dictionary.

By the way, I enjoy the way how you replied to the post of my question. You didn't simply give me the key.

First, you encouraged me, then illustrated it clearly, and finally gave me a new relevant question. You are very instructive. I would say you are an excellent teacher.

Best regards!
    Hi

Thanks for the kind words...

Anyway, regarding the use of "here" in a similar situation, you are almost right. Let me give you an example that should explain:

If I were to visit my friend who has recently moved into a new home, I might say something like "This is a great place you have here." Because I'm inside my friend's home, "here" would be correct. (If, however, I said something before or after I entered her home, I would most likely say "That's a great place you have there.")

In other words, if the place or situation is the same for both the speaker and listener, "here" can be used. If not, "there" is better.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Hello! Thank you for your help.

But can I say,'thank you there'?

And suppose you wear a ring, I said, 'That's a beautiful ring you have there'. But can I just say 'Thats a beautiful ring you have'? I mean to omit 'there'.