• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

The deep meaning of the word 'commute'

The following is a sentence that could be written by a non-native speaker.

Working people did not have to commute, because they lived within walking distance of their place of work.

In the upper sentence, we can infer that 'commute' is not to move within walking distance of their place of work.

Merriam-webster online says it's to travel back and forth regularly.
    (I can't infer the meaning used in the upper sentence from this definition.)

But, Collins COBUILD says it's to travel a long distance every day between your home and your place of work.
    (This definition matches the upper sentence.)

But I can't find any other dictionaries that define commute like Collins COBUILD.

Is that word always has the meaning of a long distance ?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

Re: The deep meaning of the word 'commute'

Hello, I am not a teacher, just a learner,

But I know that in USA, the 'Commuters' are people who do not live in the center of the town but in the suburb and naturally they need to take their cars, or buses or others ways to be at work at the right time.

I believe Mr.Collins is right. (Notice: I am not sure the word commute has a reation with the distance).

Cordially,

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I disagree with these ideas.

Your commute is either the distance you travel back and forth to work each day or the activity of travelling it.

The only people who don't have to commute are those who work from their home. (Though sometimes we tease my coworkers about their commute from the bedroom to the dining room, where they have a laptop set up.)

Even if they walked to work, I'd still call that a commute.

"My commute is a ten-minute walk. It's great!"

You can have a short commute or a long commute.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

Hello, Barbara,

You disagree with my interpretation, but I am not sure, you're right. Give me your opinion about the following issue, the persons who is called 'commuter' in USA, are they still workers who live out the town?

See you later. Oh I forgot, if you commute between the bed towards your desk, I hope you don't call that a commute, maybe you do not take the subway.

Cordially, the Frenchie.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by The French View Post
    Hello, Barbara,

You disagree with my interpretation, but I am not sure, you're right. Give me your opinion about the following issue, the persons who is called 'commuter' in USA, are they still workers who live out the town?

See you later. Oh I forgot, if you commute between the bed towards your desk, I hope you don't call that a commute, maybe you do not take the subway.

Cordially, the Frenchie.

I agree with Barb that a commute doesn't have to be a long distance; but I think it has to be a significant distance, and '10 minutes' is at the borderline of significance! My journey to work used to be - by bicycle - 10 minutes long, and I wouldn't have called myself a commuter. But I imagine the people in cars who took up to an hour for the same journey might well have thought of themselves as commuters.

When I worked for another employer, though, and my house was just by the fire escape - so that if I went through the main gates it was a 5 minute walk but if I went the back way it took about 90 seconds, I wouldn't have called it a commute.

So, The French, you can stick with the Collins definition; but be aware that exceptions are possible. If I say 'commute', the image conveyed is of a journey that takes up a fair chunk of time; but given that expectation, it's not uncommon for people to use the word as a way of setting up a 'bathetic' reference - 'oh no, it's not that long at all'. (At least, that's the way it works in Br English.)

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

Hello Bobk,

I understand that fire make you a person more faster than anyone, but about your borderline 'ten minutes' it is sujective.

Indeed you are right, because when people go to work they dislike to spend hours or minutes in locomotion.

About the notion of time I believe it's depend of the point of view, sometimes the lenght of time seems to be more long between two 'commuters'. I am joking but Barbara and you have enlighten my mind.

Thanks for your cooperation and your help to improve my poor English.

One Question: where can I write a little story to have a correction (It's not for my homework, because I work and I don't go more at school, it's just to find a person who can for free correct me).

See you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by The French View Post
    Hello Bobk,

I understand that fire make you a person more faster than anyone, but about your borderline 'ten minutes' it is sujective.

Indeed you are right, because when people go to work they dislike to spend hours or minutes in locomotion.

About the notion of time I believe it's depend of the point of view, sometimes the lenght of time seems to be more long between two 'commuters'. I am joking but Barbara and you have enlighten my mind.

Thanks for your cooperation and your help to improve my poor English.

One Question: where can I write a little story to have a correction (It's not for my homework, because I work and I don't go more at school, it's just to find a person who can for free correct me).

See you
    I'll correct your story for you if you send it to me in a private message.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

Hello teacher,

I have just read your message, and would like to thanks you in advance for your help.

I write for you during this weekend (If you see mistakes in my message on this forum do not hesitate to correct).

A have a break, see you tomorrow and have a nice day.