Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Unregistered

Please help

Hi,

Would you tell me whether 'stress' is better than 'pressure' if it refers to external stress here? And would you tell me why if so?

I think his headaches are caused by stress/pressure
    Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Please help

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi,

Would you tell me whether 'stress' is better than 'pressure' if it refers to external stress here? And would you tell me why if so?

Thanks.
    Have a look here:
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...ease-help.html
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/g...ut-stress.html
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...mean-same.html

By the way: "Please help" is useless as a thread title.

Thank you Raymott for your information, but that doesn't help with my question here.
    Does anyone know the answer to my question above?
    Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks.
    Hi!

One can be stressed (psychologicaly) and consequently have headaches because of an external pressure from some kind of work, style of living, etc.

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner

hello sir just guide me about a word "Quest" where we can use it.

Quote Originally Posted by tauseef View Post
    hello sir just guide me about a word "Quest" where we can use it.
    Hi!

Quest - noun. a long search, an act of seeking, a journey undertaken by a knight (used mainly in literature).

A quest for a miracle cure.
    A knight wandered in quest of adventure.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Hi,

Thanks.
    If you're talking about psychological stress or pressure, you'd use "stress".
    If you mean physical pressure, for example if he has pressure on the brain due to a brain tumour, you'd use "pressure". You'd also use "pressure" if his headache was due to his carrying heavy weights on his head all day. It doesn't make any difference whether the pressure is coming from inside or outside his head.
    In any case, you'd rarely hear the sentence "His headaches are caused by pressure" unless it was understood what sort of pressure you were talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    If you're talking about psychological stress or pressure, you'd use "stress".
    Hi Raymott,
    Do you mean psychological stress and psychological pressure mean the same thing here? Do they mean external or internal if so?

Do you mean in the sentence "His headaches are caused by stress", 'pressure' doesn't work ?

For example, someone is under pressure because he has lots of work to do, which caused the headaches. I think the 'presssure' here is external and 'stress' can also means that, the question is that why you think 'stress' is fine rather than 'pressure'(if it doesn't work)?

Thank you all for your posts.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by evening View Post
    Hi Raymott,
    Do you mean psychological stress and psychological pressure mean the same thing here?
    Yes.

Do they mean external or internal if so?
    I'm not sure what you mean about this internal /external dichotomy. Where do you think psychological stress/pressure occurs? Obviously it can be caused by outside things like work, or relationships, but it occurs inside the head. It can also be caused by bad memories, which would be internal. It's still stress.

Do you mean in the sentence "His headaches are caused by stress", 'pressure' doesn't work ?
    Well, 'pressure' isn't in that sentence. If you mean does "His headaches are cause by pressure" make sense when the cause is stress, then yes it does. But you'd usually need to elaborate about what sort of pressure.

For example, someone is under pressure because he has lots of work to do, which caused the headaches. I think the 'presssure' here is external and 'stress' can also means that, the question is that why you think 'stress' is fine rather than 'pressure'(if it doesn't work)?
    The obvious solution is not to rely on the words "pressure" and "stress" to explain things. If a person has headaches from the pressure of work, it's best to say that - rather than to assume that people will understand what you mean by "pressure".

Thank you all for your posts.
    R.

Hi Raymott,
    Can I use 'stress' to mean 'pressure' instead without changing the original meaing in the sentences?

He has headaches from the stress of work
    or
    He has headaches from the stress of schoolwork.
    Thank you for your help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast