• Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

• Post Thanks / Like

articles with high schools

This is how the names were used in Britannica:
    higher education in Moscow: "the Moscow D. Mendeleev Institute of Chemical Technology,
    the Moscow N.E. Bauman State Technical University, the Russian Academy of Theatre Arts. Other notable institutions of higher learning include Moscow State Open University and Moscow University for the Humanities".
    (As well I know: Harvard University)
    Why aren't there articles before the last institutions? Is there a rule?
    Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: articles with high schools

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo4755 View Post
    This is how the names were used in Britannica:
    higher education in Moscow: "the Moscow D. Mendeleev Institute of Chemical Technology,
    the Moscow N.E. Bauman State Technical University, the Russian Academy of Theatre Arts. Other notable institutions of higher learning include Moscow State Open University and Moscow University for the Humanities".
    (As well I know: Harvard University)
    Why aren't there articles before the last institutions? Is there a rule?
    Thank you.
    (Not a teacher)
    As a general rule,the zero article is used before universities, for example, Harvard University, Oxford University. However, the definite article is used when the name of a university is in the form of "University of ABC", for example, the University of Hong Kong, the University of California. Of course , sometimes exception applies, or if the name of a university carries the definite article itself, for example, The City University. As for the definite article before "Moscow N.E. Bauman State Technical University", I wondered if it was correct. Since in the absence of the full context, I can't tell.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

• Post Thanks / Like

>>
    I wondered if it was correct. Since in the absence of the full context, I can't tell
    That was the full context: just a list of institutions in encyclopedia Britannica (Moscow (Russia) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia).

And even in the same encyclopedia Moscow State univercity is used in various ways:
    In the same Stalin-period style are the Ukraina Hotel across the river and the gigantic building in the Moscow State University complex on the VorobyŽvy Hills.

I am sorry, it is very diificult to give more examples: every time I open Britannica online in my browser, the connection breaks. I am very keen to investigate the question :) - please, if anybody knows more rules on the subject, please let know.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo4755 View Post
    >>
    That was the full context: just a list of institutions in encyclopedia Britannica (Moscow (Russia) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia).

And even in the same encyclopedia Moscow State univercity is used in various ways:
    In the same(before same, first, end..., idiomatic usage) Stalin-period style are the Ukraina Hotel (before Hotels, cinemas...) across the river (immediate environment with shared knowledge) and the gigantic building (defined by the prepositional phrase that follows "in...") in the Moscow State University complex (defined by the prepositional phrase that follows "on...") on the VorobyŽvy Hills(Plural place name).

I am sorry, it is very diificult to give more examples: every time I open Britannica online in my browser, the connection breaks. I am very keen to investigate the question :) - please, if anybody knows more rules on the subject, please let know.
    (Not a teacher)
    Well, in your another example, the use of the definite article is to specify the complex; which complex? i.e. the [(zero article)Moscow State University] complex on the Vorobyevy Hills, or the complex of (zero article) Moscow State University on.... Hm..., the English articles are really hard stuff.
    Last edited by albertino; 08-Dec-2009 at 05:18.