Question help me understand this long~~ sentence please

help me understand this long~~ sentence which is said by Will Truman in Will & Grace show:

It (the pill doctor just gave him) 's even pretty effective in squashing the lingering ache from having to work so hard for my mother's affection making it nearly impossible for any man to love me enough to make up for the hole she left in my heart.

my question is Who is the Subject of the "making it nearly .." subsentence?

Thanks!
    cheng

Re: help me understand this long~~ sentence please

Hi,

I think the logic subject of this attributive phrase making it... is mother's affection.

I guess you may not well understand the last part of the sentence making it nearly impossible for any man to love me enough to make up for the hole she left in my heart.

The pronoun it here refers to the infinite verbal phrase to love me enough to make up for the hole she left in my heart. This part is actually saying that no man can fulfill the hold left by my mother with their love, because their love to me cannot be compared with my mom's.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by leolyy View Post
    help me understand this long~~ sentence which is said by Will Truman in Will & Grace show:

It (the pill doctor just gave him) 's even pretty effective in squashing the lingering ache from having to work so hard for my mother's affection making it nearly impossible for any man to love me enough to make up for the hole she left in my heart.

my question is Who is the Subject of the "making it nearly .." subsentence?

Thanks!
    cheng
    I think Will has the opposite feeling about his mother from the above post (although I don't watch the show). Will is gay.

Will had to work very hard for his mother's affection. She was not affectionate. Will is emotionally traumatised by his childhood, such that he needs pills to overcome the lingering ache (antidepressants or similar). The hole she left in his heart is not from grief (her dying) but from her emotional abuse of him. He finds it hard to find someone who will love him enough to overcome the lingering pain of his childhood abuse.

The clue is in "having to work so hard for my mother's affection" - this is not something a child should have to do.

Thanks Raymott, well explained, i'm still not clear about this sentence: "having to work so hard for my mother's affection", i mean if we say "he has to work hard for her affection", does it mean he is in attempt to make her become affectionate and love him back?

btw, thanks alohabrian, actually i was thinking what you are, but it seems like we are wrong, it makes more sense that the hole Will's mom left him is her carelessness.
    Last edited by leolyy; 06-Dec-2009 at 08:37.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by leolyy View Post
    Thanks Raymott, well explained, i'm still not clear about this sentence: "having to work so hard for my mother's affection", i mean if we say "he has to work hard for her affection", does it mean he is in attempt to make her become affectionate and love him back?
    Yes, exactly, he wanted her affection, but she found it hard to be affectionate towards towards him. (At least, that is my reading).
    "Working hard" means being good, not doing anything she wouldn't like, giving in to her every whim, etc. just for a small morsel of her affection.

btw, thanks alohabrian, actually i was thinking what you are, but it seems like we are wrong, it makes more sense that the hole Will's mom left him is her carelessness.
    R.