Confusion over Literature review.

Hi everyone,

First time and hi to everyone. I've been working on my college literature review for my software project. There is one thing I find it very confusing. My professor kept saying we need to paraphrase every single sentence we copied using harvard referencing style. Does that mean I need to cite every single sentence in the literature review ? What if i need to write something which I couldn't find any source? Say for example, According to [this author, this year] this problem is blur blur blur. So, it is very critical that we need to take a precaution in order to prevent this from blur blur blur. The bold sentence hasn't taken from any source. Am I allowed to include those sort of sentences in the literature review ? I mean there are sometimes I wanna write something in the review based on my experience. I mean writing like "everybody eat something in order to survive", "patients see doctors to have their medical problems checked" would need to find a source too ? Please that's really confusing and bothering me for quite a bit of time and will be looking forward to any sort of inputs. Thanks all in advance.
    Last edited by harrylynn; 05-Dec-2009 at 17:42.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Confusion over Literature review.

Quote Originally Posted by harrylynn View Post
    Hi everyone,

First time and hi to everyone. I've been working on my college literature review for my software project. There is one thing I find it very confusing. My professor kept saying we need to paraphrase every single sentence we copied using harvard referencing style. Does that mean I need to cite every single sentence in the literature review ? What if i need to write something which I couldn't find any source? Say for example, According to [this author, this year] this problem is blur blur blur. So, it is very critical that we need to take a precaution in order to prevent this from blur blur blur. The bold sentence hasn't taken from any source. Am I allowed to include those sort of sentences in the literature review ? I mean there are sometimes I wanna write something in the review based on my experience. I mean writing like "everybody eat something in order to survive", "patients see doctors to have their medical problems checked" would need to find a source too ? Please that's really confusing and bothering me for quite a bit of time and will be looking forward to any sort of inputs. Thanks all in advance.
    No, you only need to cite the source of the bits you've copied (as your professor has said). If it's your original ideas, no citations are necessary.
    The only condition under which you'd have to cite every sentence is if you've copied every sentence (or paraphrased it) from somewhere else.