Results 1 to 6 of 6

    • Join Date: Feb 2009
    • Posts: 88
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Exclamation meet vs see

    Hello there.

    I meet her at the cafe.
    I see her at the cafe.

    Both have the same meaning?
    Or do you feel any difference?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 2,121
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Exclamation Re: meet vs see

    Quote Originally Posted by gchman View Post
    Hello there.

    I meet her at the cafe.
    I see her at the cafe.

    Both have the same meaning?
    Or do you feel any difference?
    No, there is distinct difference.
    A blind person can meet some one but can not see. When you see some one, you do not only meet but are also conscious of what is happening around you by using your eyes. So the difference is obvious:
    I meet her at the cafe.= I (or A blind person) usually visit the café to meet her with a purpose.
    I see her at the café= I usually visit the café to be with her for some time. There may or may not be any purpose but just to spend some time with her because I am conscious that it a safe/nice place..


    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 5
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: meet vs see

    Quote Originally Posted by gchman View Post
    Hello there.

    I meet her at the cafe.
    I see her at the cafe.

    Both have the same meaning?
    Or do you feel any difference?

    No,

    See an ablitily to use your eyes so I can see something or someone.
    Meet - as sarat_106 said a Blind person would meet someone at a cafe because they cannot see her.

    Meet - means that you were there in person and the other person saw you 100% (if they are not blind)
    See - implies that you saw the person but the person maybe didn't see you.
    e.g.
    I met her at the cafe yesterday around 5 p.m. She was happy to see me.

    I see her at the cafe, but she didn't see me. (because I was to far).

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,278
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: meet vs see

    Quote Originally Posted by englishmary View Post
    No,

    See an ablitily to use your eyes so I can see something or someone.
    Meet - as sarat_106 said a Blind person would meet someone at a cafe because they cannot see her.

    Meet - means that you were there in person and the other person saw you 100% (if they are not blind)
    See - implies that you saw the person but the person maybe didn't see you.
    e.g.
    I met her at the cafe yesterday around 5 p.m. She was happy to see me.

    I saw her at the cafe, but she didn't see me. (because I was too far).
    .

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 4,146
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: meet vs see

    Quote Originally Posted by gchman View Post
    Hello there.

    I meet her at the cafe.
    I see her at the cafe.

    Both have the same meaning?
    Or do you feel any difference?
    "see" can mean that I just see her there but don't talk to her. I may not even know her personally. But "see" can also be used to mean "meet".

    "meet" means more than just "see" her. I interact with her in some way. I probably talk to her but not necessarily. Maybe she just gives me an envelope of money each time.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,278
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: meet vs see

    Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    Maybe she just gives me an envelope of money each time.
    Can you introduce her to me?

Similar Threads

  1. Meet vs. Meet up
    By HaraKiriBlade in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-Nov-2009, 10:07
  2. [Vocabulary] meet up
    By LizzyBennet in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20-Oct-2009, 20:20
  3. let's meet let's meet us
    By ripley in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-Nov-2008, 15:58
  4. Where The Stress in "Nice to meet you."
    By sel6000 in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17-Oct-2008, 12:38
  5. meet sb., meet with sb.
    By Lenka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-Mar-2007, 22:12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •