• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

of/assisting

Fossils are one of the most important sources of information about the Earth's past. They can tell us the age of the rocks in which they are found, what the environment was like when the fossilised organisms were alive, and even how the organisms functioned. They can also tell us about Earth movements, such as mountain building, about the former positions of continents (ancient geography), and about the evolution of life on Earth. Some of these uses for fossils are of economic importance, assisting in the search for oil and minerals.

I have two questions.
    1. I would like to know the meaning of "of" in the next sentence.
    Some of these uses for fossils are of economic importance.

2. I wonder if the meaning of "assisting" in the next sentence is "and they assist" or "as they assist".
    Some of these uses for fossils are of economic importance, assisting in the search for oil and minerals.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Re: of/assisting

Quote Originally Posted by wowenglish1 View Post
    Fossils are one of the most important sources of information about the Earth's past. They can tell us the age of the rocks in which they are found, what the environment was like when the fossilised organisms were alive, and even how the organisms functioned. They can also tell us about Earth movements, such as mountain building, about the former positions of continents (ancient geography), and about the evolution of life on Earth. Some of these uses for fossils are of economic importance, assisting in the search for oil and minerals.

I have two questions.
    1. I would like to know the meaning of "of" in the next sentence.
    Some of these uses for fossils are of economic importance.

The "be + of" structure is used for describing the features and qualities of a person or thing. For example,
    - She is a player of enormous talent.
    - The city itself is of little interest architecturally.

2. I wonder if the meaning of "assisting" in the next sentence is "and they assist" or "as they assist".
    Some of these uses for fossils are of economic importance, (Some of these uses for fossils assist) assisting in the search for oil and minerals.
    Not a teacher.