1. Unregistered

All that I want is your respect

I learned in high school that the "that" in "All that I want is your respect" is a relative pronoun (it is a substitute for the word "all"). Some people who are familiar with university-level grammar say that "that" is a subordinator, not a relative pronoun. Would someone please clarify the situation? Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia

Re: All that I want is your respect

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I learned in high school that the "that" in "All that I want is your respect" is a relative pronoun (it is a substitute for the word "all"). Some people who are familiar with university-level grammar say that "that" is a subordinator, not a relative pronoun. Would someone please clarify the situation? Thank you.
    "That" is a relative pronoun which refers to a thing, an idea or a place.
    http://http://www.englishlanguagegui...ve-pronoun.asp

It is used as a subordinator only with "so." That is with the subordinators / conjunctions "so that" and so (...) that
    E.g: I was working so hard that I didn't notice the time. (cause and result)
    I did my homework very quickly so that I could see the film. (purpose)

Re: All that I want is your respect

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    A relative pronoun is a subordinate conjunction, which introduces a subordinate clause.

All (that) I want is your respect.
    In this sentence, (A)ll and that have shared reference. The predicate nominative (your respect) renames the simple subject, (A)ll. The complete subject is "All (that) I want", which is a nominal phrase with (A)ll being the head and the that clause being an adjectival clause modifying the simple subject.
    Last edited by Kondorosi; 08-Dec-2009 at 15:14.