How do I use as few "and"s as possible in my writings?

Hello, teachers:

I just noticed that all my writings(be it emails, posts, or essays,) are filled with "and"s. I tried hard to use as few "and"s as possible but sometimes you just can not do without numerous "and"s.

The following passage is my English writing homework assignment. We're required to write a letter to a famous sci-fi writer to talk about my first science fiction project. Since it's not a bussiness letter, the language style should be "colloquial, smooth and plain", "sound like a 14 year old".

Dear Mr. B:
    I'm a great fan of your novels and am also planning to write my first science fiction and when it's finished I might seek publishing. I know you'd think this is a silly idea but I really want to give it a try.

I understand you're one of the best-selling sci-fi authors in our country and I'm wondering if you can give me some advice on sci-fi writing?

ok, this is not the most typical one of my "and"-filled writings. (Can't think of anything else for the time being. )And I want to know, what do you teachers do if you really NEED to use a lot of "and"s?

I've seen quite a lot interviews on youtube and noticed that a lot of native speakers can not help using a plethora of "and"s either. Some people just "and" all the way through the show. Sometimes all you hear is numerous "and"s.

I know that is not a good talking habit, right?? How to get rid of it?? Any advice??

Thanks in advance to all.:)

(My whole post is subject to grammatical correction)

Bird.
    Last edited by VividJailbird; 08-Dec-2009 at 15:13. Reason: revise

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: How do I use as few "and"s as possible in my writings?

With the sentence you quoted, the easiest answer would be to replace the first "and" with a full stop and start a new sentence:

Your version: I'm a great fan of your novels and am also planning to write my first science fiction and when it's finished I might seek publishing. I know you'd think this is a silly idea but I really want to give it a try.

Revised: I'm a great fan of your novels. I'm also planning to write my first sci-fi and when it's finished, I might seek to have it published.

With spoken English, especially with examples from You Tube or interviews, the word "and" is used more often, simply because people don't necessarily plan what they're going say in advance. As we speak, we think of more things to say so we will frequently say "and" because we've thought of something else that we want to add, and don't necessarily finish the original sentence first.

Re: How do I use as few "and"s as possible in my writings?

After you become more proficient at English, you will learn to be more clear and concise. Meaning, instead of using the word "and" to join two independent clauses, you will simply put a period to seperate the two clauses.