• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

《THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION》

A few lines I quoted from 《THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION》:

"I could see why some of the boys took him for snobby. He had a quiet way about him, a walk and a talk that just wasn't normal around here. He strolled. like a man in a park without a care or worry."

My questions are:
    1."took him for snobby",snobby is an adjective,but the phrase is supposed to be like"take somebody/something for something",isn't it?,so is it more appropriate to say "took him for snob"(noun)?
    2."a quiet way about him",I suppose it means he is a very quiet guy,but what's the usage of way here?
    3.what does "stroll" means here?

Thanks!
    Last edited by masterding; 09-Dec-2009 at 08:30.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: 《THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION》

I haven't hitherto answered this because this film uses several American dialects that I know very little about.

1 If you want to use a noun (and I'm not sure what 'snobby' means in this context [there is the Br English word 'snobbish', but I don't know whether it means the same], so I'd be with you if you did ) it needs an article: 'the boys took him for a snob'.

2 He has a way of doing things that gives an impression of quietness. Note that this doesn't necessarily mean 'not making much noise'. He's reflective, only talks when he needs to, and is self-sufficient.

3 To walk with no apparent purpose. Does your dictionary not include this word?

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

"Took him for snobby" (using the noun form, we'd say "took him for a snob") means that he seemed aloof, maybe a bit pretentious.

"A quiet way about him" means that he was never particularly talkative or demonstrative. The use of "way" indicates that his quietness was more than a matter of him not talking very much; it means that he was very subtle and subdued in his mannerisms and in all aspects of his personality.

BobK has defined "stroll" correctly, but I'll just add that in prison inmates usually walk with a purpose, they are always "on alert" as it is a very tense atmosphere. It is unusual for a prisoner to actually "stroll" as if they hadn't a care in the world.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Still on question 2,how to understand "about him"?like he has a quality?