• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

should

A farm boy from Colorado loved to hike and rock climb. One day while climbing in the mountains, he found an eagle's nest with an egg in it. He took the egg from the nest, and when he got home, he put it under a hen along with her other eggs. Since he hatched among chicks, the eagle thought he was a chicken. He learned chicken behavior from his "mother" and scratched in the chicken yard along with his "siblings." And when he sometimes felt strange stirrings within him, he didn't know what to do with them, so he ignored them or suppressed them. After all, if he was a chicken, he should behave like a chicken.

I wonder if the meaning of "should" in the "1" is obligation or expectation or anything else.
    1. After all, if he was a chicken, he should behave like a chicken.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia

Re: should

Quote Originally Posted by wowenglish1 View Post
    I wonder if the meaning of "should" in the "1" is obligation or expectation or anything else.
    I think it is a deduction.

Re: should

Quote Originally Posted by wowenglish1 View Post
    A farm boy from Colorado loved to hike and rock climb. One day while climbing in the mountains, he found an eagle's nest with an egg in it. He took the egg from the nest, and when he got home, he put it under a hen along with her other eggs. Since he hatched among chicks, the eagle thought he was a chicken. He learned chicken behavior from his "mother" and scratched in the chicken yard along with his "siblings." And when he sometimes felt strange stirrings within him, he didn't know what to do with them, so he ignored them or suppressed them. After all, if he was a chicken, he should behave like a chicken.

Hi!

I'm not a teacher.

In my opinion it is obligation, which is not being fulfilled. The eagle has some doubts about his being chicken because of the strange stirrings within him.