• Post Thanks / Like

The Scarlet Letter

Hey, I am slightly confused by this text. Please translate.

Would not the earth, quickened to an evil purpose by the sympathy of his eye, greet him with poisonous shrubs, of species hitherto unknown, that would start up under his fingers?

Sparknotes says it means: Wouldn’t the earth, awakened to his evil purpose, send poisonous shrubs growing up beneath his fingers?

My main problem is the "by the sympathy of his eye" Can someone explain it?I understand the rest, but sparknotes seems to be missing that translation...

I think it means something along the lines of by the evil shown through his eyes, but I am averse to guessing and sympathy means feelings shared....
    Last edited by rws_killer5; 10-Dec-2009 at 05:00.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Scarlet Letter

up

• Post Thanks / Like

anyone???

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rws_killer5 View Post
    Hey, I am slightly confused by this text. Please translate.

Would not the earth, quickened to an evil purpose by the sympathy of his eye, greet him with poisonous shrubs, of species hitherto unknown, that would start up under his fingers?

Sparknotes says it means: Wouldn’t the earth, awakened to his evil purpose, send poisonous shrubs growing up beneath his fingers?

My main problem is the "by the sympathy of his eye" Can someone explain it?I understand the rest, but sparknotes seems to be missing that translation...

I think it means something along the lines of by the evil shown through his eyes, but I am averse to guessing and sympathy means feelings shared....
    Your suggestion seems perfectly reasonable. "Sympathy" has a wider meaning than simply shared feelings. Definitions of sympathy - OneLook Dictionary Search