what is fried marbles ?

I read a story about christmas. There is something called "fried marble ", I don't know what it is? Is it made of glass or stone or something else? why they put it in a hot frying pan?
    Could you give me some idea? Thank you very much!

Here is the context:
    At home the students made the popular fried marbles and vied with one another to bring in the prettiest ones.
    " You put them in a hot frying pan, Teacher. And you let them get real hot, and then you watch what happens inside. But you don't fry them too long or they break." So, as my gift to them, I made each of my students a little pouch for carrying their fried marbles.

Re: what is fried marbles ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Lau View Post
    I read a story about christmas. There is something called "fried marble ", I don't know what it is? Is it made of glass or stone or something else? why they put it in a hot frying pan?
    Could you give me some idea? Thank you very much!

Here is the context:
    At home the students made the popular fried marbles and vied with one another to bring in the prettiest ones.
    " You put them in a hot frying pan, Teacher. And you let them get real hot, and then you watch what happens inside. But you don't fry them too long or they break." So, as my gift to them, I made each of my students a little pouch for carrying their fried marbles.
    After reading it you will develop an idea:

How to Make Fried Marble Necklaces | eHow.co.uk

Re: what is fried marbles ?

Thank you:) I've read that web page, and totally understand now:)