• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

sleep rough/pecan/intake/concoction/bibimbap/tostadas/pho/bangers and mash/poutine

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Five staff from document management software company, Version One, slept rough on the streets of Manchester on the night of Friday October 2 in aid of Action for Children’s youth homelessness projects.

sleep rough = live rough = to spend the night in the open; be without a home or without shelter

On average, pumpkin pie contains the smallest amount of sugar at 21 grams a slice, while pecan has the largest at 32 grams a slice.

pecan = smooth brown oval nut of south central United States

Which of the following treats will put a middle-aged woman over the American Heart Association's recommended sugar intake limit?

intake = the process of taking food into the body through the mouth (as by eating); consumption

Curry-wursts is a sweet and sour concoction that combines curry-spiked tomato sauce with sausage.

concoction = any foodstuff made by combining different ingredients; blend, combination, mixture

Korean bibimbap is a hot, filling one-bowl meal.

bibimbap = popular Korean dish

Invented in Mexico, tostadas are made with fried corn tortillas.

tostada = a tortilla or tortilla chip deep-fried until crisp

You have a cold and your taste buds are shot, but you want something other than chicken noodle soup. A friend suggests pho.

poh = a Vietnamese beef and noodle soup

According to a survey by British television channel Good Food, bangers and mash won the comfort food competition with 16 percent of the vote.

banger and mash = sausages and mash

In Quebec, poutine is the ultimate comfort food.

poutine = a dish consisting of French fries topped with fresh cheese curd, covered with brown gravy and sometimes additional ingredients

Dosas, a street food in South India, have made their way to the streets of Manhattan.

dosa = a crepe made from rice and black lentils

Papusas are a corn dough stuffed with a filling like pork or cheese.

papusa = a thick, hand-made corn biscuit-like flat bread

If you ride the clutch, we will soon have to replace it.

ride the clutch = drive a car with your foot on the clutch pedal; this will partially depress the clutch
    and wear it out prematurely.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Re: sleep rough/pecan/intake/concoction/bibimbap/tostadas/pho/bangers and mash/poutin

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Five staff from document management software company, Version One, slept rough on the streets of Manchester on the night of Friday October 2 in aid of Action for Children’s youth homelessness projects.

sleep rough = live rough = to spend the night in the open; be without a home or without shelter Yes

On average, pumpkin pie contains the smallest amount of sugar at 21 grams a slice, while pecan has the largest at 32 grams a slice.

pecan = smooth brown oval nut of south central United States Yes. But this sentence is referring to 'pecan pie' which is a pie made with pecan nuts as a key ingredient.

Which of the following treats will put a middle-aged woman over the American Heart Association's recommended sugar intake limit?

intake = the process of taking food into the body through the mouth (as by eating); consumption Yes. Or indeed any process of being taken in through anything. In this case, consumption.

Curry-wursts is a sweet and sour concoction that combines curry-spiked tomato sauce with sausage.

concoction = any foodstuff made by combining different ingredients; blend, combination, mixture Yes.

Korean bibimbap is a hot, filling one-bowl meal.

bibimbap = popular Korean dish Wikipedia says so. I have no idea.

Invented in Mexico, tostadas are made with fried corn tortillas.

tostada = a tortilla or tortilla chip deep-fried until crisp Yes. I think this sentence is a description of what a tostada is - a corn tortilla, fried.

You have a cold and your taste buds are shot, but you want something other than chicken noodle soup. A friend suggests pho.

poh = a Vietnamese beef and noodle soup Again, Wikipedia says so.

According to a survey by British television channel Good Food, bangers and mash won the comfort food competition with 16 percent of the vote.

banger and mash = sausages and mash Yes

In Quebec, poutine is the ultimate comfort food.

poutine = a dish consisting of French fries topped with fresh cheese curd, covered with brown gravy and sometimes additional ingredients Again, Wikipedia.

Dosas, a street food in South India, have made their way to the streets of Manhattan.

dosa = a crepe made from rice and black lentils

Papusas are a corn dough stuffed with a filling like pork or cheese.

papusa = a thick, hand-made corn biscuit-like flat bread

All those food ones I think would reliably be taken from Wikipedia.

If you ride the clutch, we will soon have to replace it.

ride the clutch = drive a car with your foot on the clutch pedal; this will partially depress the clutch
    and wear it out prematurely. Yes

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    (Not a teacher)