in good agreement or in a good agreement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanky

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Do we say "two things are in good agreement" or "two things are in a good agreement?
I always go with the former but today a guy say that it is the latter so I am in doubt.
Please advise.
Thanks.

meee

Member Type
Other
Do we say "two things are in good agreement" or "two things are in a good agreement?
I always go with the former but today a guy say that it is the latter so I am in doubt.
Please advise.
Thanks.

the first is correct

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Please advise.
Thanks.

Neither is good in English. What are you trying to say?

meee

Member Type
Other
if you look it up it states that in good agreement is correct, but in this case I doubt you can use it (give the context)

hanky

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Neither is good in English. What are you trying to say?

Let say there are two theories and the consequences of the two match each other very well. I want to say that the first theory is in good agreement with the other so I say: the two theories are in good agreement.
So you said that it was not good in English, please help me improve it.
Thanks.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
the first is correct
I agree.

For example, there are two quite different ways of estimating the age of a very old painting. If the two differernt estimates are quite close, say 615 years and 590 years, we can say that the two different ways/estimates are in good agreement.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Let say there are two theories and the consequences of the two match each other very well. I want to say that the first theory is in good agreement with the other so I say: the two theories are in good agreement.
So you said that it was not good in English, please help me improve it.
Thanks.

The context helps a lot (as always). I can see what you want to say now. I would say: "The two theories are in close agreement with each other".

Status
Not open for further replies.