• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbian
      • Home Country:
      • Serbia
      • Current Location:
      • Serbia

A drunkard again :)

Bethoven's father obviously was a great troublemaker. There is another sentence I don't understand:

Beethovenís mother had been committed to a retreat for alcoholics, while his father, Johann, had spent his last years drowning in alcohol.

Does that mean she woeked in some hospice or something?
    Can anyone help me, please?

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: A drunkard again :)

Quote Originally Posted by blueeye View Post
    Bethoven's father obviously was a great troublemaker. There is another sentence I don't understand:

Beethovenís mother had been committed to a retreat for alcoholics, while his father, Johann, had spent his last years drowning in alcohol.

Thank you.

No, it means that she was put ito a retreat because she was an alcoholic.

Quote Originally Posted by blueeye View Post

Thank you.

committed: "feeling dedication and loyalty to a cause,activity or a job

it means she helped alcoholics. I don't know wether this was in a facility she had founded or in a hospital

so no she wasn't an alcoholic

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by meee View Post
    committed: "feeling dedication and loyalty to a cause,activity or a job

it means she helped alcoholics. I don't know wether this was in a facility she had founded or in a hospital

so no she wasn't an alcoholic
    I'm sorry, but you are completely wrong, this is the relevent definition:commit - Definition of commit verb (SEND) from Cambridge Dictionary Online: Free English Dictionary and Thesaurus

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    that might be true, but we're not talking about the infinitive to commit but about the adjective committed (derived from to commit) and this does cover the meaning mentioned above.

it's a common mistake that people look for the infinitive and look the meaning of the inf up.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by meee View Post
    that might be true, but we're not talking about the infinitive to commit but about the adjective committed (derived from to commit) and this does cover the meaning mentioned above.

it's a common mistake that people look for the infinitive and look the meaning of the inf up.
    I don't agree. What we are dealing with is the past participle of the verb "to commit".

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I don't agree. What we are dealing with is the past participle of the verb "to commit".
    no because committed is an actual word, and in this case it has got nothing to do with the past participle of to commit

I think the answer could be both, as commit can mean either to pledge yourself to a purpose, or to be placed in a hospital (usually for legal reasons). Perhaps this author used the word on purpose?

After looking for some basic information on Beethoven's mother, nowhere suggests that she was an acoholic; indeed she abhorred her husband's alcoholism and her marriage in general.

Perhaps it means that she had to be at a retreat for acoholics with her alcoholic husband, while he was attending?