• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

dispossition/tiptoe/stand on tiptoe/soft-shoeing/amble/stride/trim/men's/ladies' room

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.

disposition = personality

The real evils, indeed, of Emma's situation were the power of having rather too much her own way, and a disposition to think a little too well of herself; these were the disadvantages which threatened alloy to her many enjoyments.

disposition = inclination

At Estelle’s request, Sylviaa took off her shoes before tiptoeing through.

Charlie and John tiptoed up the front-porch steps.

tiptoe = walk on one's toes

You should tiptoe to have a better view.

tiptoe = raise oneself on tiptoes

He who stands on his tiptoes does not stand firm.

He who stands of tiptoe is not steady.

stand on tiptoe = to be eager or alert, to be a tiptoe with expectation

The children were on tiptoe before the Christmas.

on tiptoe = full of anticipation; eager

A nurse, soft-shoeing into the room, advised that visiting hours were over.

He saw Harry amble into the yard, looking more bent than ever, as if somebody had pushed him over and he could not straighten up.

amble = walk leisurely

I saw him moving towards me with his light, quick, graceful stride. He was over middle height, slightly built but strong; and each physical action was so full of wasy and grace that he had only to enter a room for eyes to follow him.

stride = a step in walking

He wore a neatly trimmed Van Gyke beard.

trim = cut closely

It was late dusk when the bus pulled

into some little town foe a stop. “We get about ten minutes here,” Bill said. |Let’s get off and stretch our legs. They’ve got a men’s room here if you need to go.”

men’s room = a restroom for men

The driver stood up and faced the passengers. “Ten minute rest stop,” he announced.

rest stop = rest area = a designated area, usually along a major highway, where motorists can pause to relax.

She gathered up her great handbag and walked to the ladies’ room.

ladies’ room = a restroom for women

I like to do my work in a leisure fashion.

Although they aren't the highest waterfalls in the world, the Niagara Falls is a place inundated with visitors.

The fields were inundated with the heavy rain.

The new governor was inundated with invitations.

inundate = overwhelm

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    Last edited by vil; 13-Dec-2009 at 11:47.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Greek
      • Home Country:
      • Greece
      • Current Location:
      • Greece

Wink Re: dispossition/tiptoe/stand on tiptoe/soft-shoeing/amble/stride/trim/men's/ladies'

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.

disposition = personality I would say mood

The real evils, indeed, of Emma's situation were the power of having rather too much her own way, and a disposition to think a little too well of herself; these were the disadvantages which threatened alloy to her many enjoyments.

disposition = inclination OK = tendency

tiptoe = walk on one's toes ok

tiptoe = raise oneself on tiptoes ok

He who stands of tiptoe is not steady. ok

on tiptoe = full of anticipation; eagerok

A nurse, soft-shoeing into the room, advised that visiting hours were over. making no noise as she walking in the room

He saw Harry amble into the yard, looking more bent than ever, as if somebody had pushed him over and he could not straighten up. I don't know about that

amble = walk leisurely

I saw him moving towards me with his light, quick, graceful stride. He was over middle height, slightly built but strong; and each physical action was so full of wasy and grace that he had only to enter a room for eyes to follow him.

stride = a step in walking or the way someone walks

trim = cut closely

into some little town for a stop. “We get about ten minutes here,” Bill said. |Let’s get off and stretch our legs. They’ve got a men’s room here if you need to go.”

men’s room = a restroom for men ok

The driver stood up and faced the passengers. “Ten minute rest stop,” he announced. It means they are going to stop and stretch out for 10 minutes

rest stop = rest area = a designated area, usually along a major highway, where motorists can pause to relax. I don't agree with that

ladies’ room = a restroom for women ok

I like to do my work in a leisure fashion.= as if it were a free time activity

Although they aren't the highest waterfalls in the world, the Niagara Falls is a place inundated with visitors.

The new governor was inundated with invitations. he was swumpt with invitations

inundate = overwhelm ok

Regards,

V.
    Hope I have been of assistance

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: dispossition/tiptoe/stand on tiptoe/soft-shoeing/amble/stride/trim/men's/ladies'

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

disposition = personality

The real evils, indeed, of Emma's situation were the power of having rather too much her own way, and a unfavorable disposition to think a little too well of herself; these were the disadvantages which threatened alloy to her many enjoyments.

disposition = inclination=A temperamental makeup, which can be better explained as: Internal characteristics that reside within an individual as a result inherited behavior, as opposed to outside (situational) influences that stem from the environment or culture in which the individual is brought up.

tiptoe = walk on one's toes

tiptoe = raise oneself on tiptoes

He who stands of tiptoe is not steady.

on tiptoe = full of anticipation; eager

A nurse, soft-shoeing into the room, advised that visiting hours were over.

He saw Harry amble into the yard, looking more bent than ever, as if somebody had pushed him over and he could not straighten up.

amble = walk leisurely

stride = a step in walking

trim = cut closely

into some little town foe a stop. “We get about ten minutes here,” Bill said. |Let’s get off and stretch our legs. They’ve got a men’s room here if you need to go.”

men’s room = a restroom for men

The driver stood up and faced the passengers. “Ten minute rest stop,” he announced.

rest stop = rest area = a designated area, usually along a major highway, where motorists can pause to relax.

ladies’ room = a restroom for women

I like to do my work in a leisure fashion. You can also say:I like to do my work at leisure.

The new governor was inundated with invitations.

inundate = overwhelm

Regards,

V.
    A person with a pleasing disposition is contented in life and admired by all. An unfavorable disposition implies just the opposite.
    sKP
    Last edited by sarat_106; 14-Dec-2009 at 08:19.