Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. Unregistered
    Guest
    #1

    to learn infinitive

    Which is correct? Is '' to'' before learn nesscary?

    I talk to English speakers to help me to learn the language.

    I talk to English speakers help me to learn the language.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,332
    #2

    Re: to learn infinitive

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Which is correct? Is '' to'' before learn nesscary?

    I talk to English speakers to help me to learn the language.

    I talk to English speakers help me to learn the language.
    (Not a teacher) (1) Your first sentence is correct, but probably most native speakers would delete the "to" in front of "learn." It sounds "smoother" to say, "I talk to English speakers to help me learn the language." (2) After the verb "help," you may delete the "to." I will help you do it./I will help you to do it. (3) You may also add "in order." This will make your sentence "stronger," and native speakers will understand you more easily: I talk to English speakers IN ORDER to help me learn the language.


    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 966
    #3

    Re: to learn infinitive

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Which is correct? Is '' to'' before learn nesscary?

    I talk to English speakers to help me to learn the language.

    I talk to English speakers help me to learn the language.
    In my opinion, in the adverbial infinitive clause the understood subject is not "English speakers", but "I". So, my reading is "... I help me...".
    How about this:

    I talk to NES for them to help me (to) learn the language.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,332
    #4

    Re: to learn infinitive

    Quote Originally Posted by Kondorosi View Post
    In my opinion, in the adverbial infinitive clause the understood subject is not "English speakers", but "I". So, my reading is "... I help me...".
    How about this:

    I talk to NES for them to help me (to) learn the language.
    (NOT A TEACHER) Excellent point! Perhaps we can agree that the sentence is ambiguous. It could mean: I talk with native speakers because I get the opportunity to improve my conversational skills./ I talk with native speakers because they are willing to answer all of my questions about English.


    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 966
    #5

    Re: to learn infinitive

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    (NOT A TEACHER) Excellent point! Perhaps we can agree that the sentence is ambiguous. It could mean: I talk with native speakers because I get the opportunity to improve my conversational skills./ I talk with native speakers because they are willing to answer all of my questions about English.
    I think it is worse than ambiguous.

    See my diagram for 'let alone'. I put the infinitive marker to the wrong place. The diagram would be fine if there were no commas and the second inf. marker were not there.
    Last edited by Kondorosi; 13-Dec-2009 at 14:38.

Similar Threads

  1. Please, could you chech this Essay
    By aridvd in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 27-Oct-2009, 04:53
  2. [General] Perfect Continuous Infinitive
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Mar-2009, 18:36
  3. [General] to fail + Infinitive / not fail + Infinitive
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Feb-2009, 19:25
  4. Using English to learn English vs. Using your own language to learn English
    By IMPSX-UE in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 22-Jan-2009, 18:41
  5. [General] Helping 4-Year-Old Neighbor Learn English
    By HankZ in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-Jan-2009, 20:22

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •