Making a sentence about views

I'm trying to make a sentence saying something like "If you keep an eye around, you would notice that there are some spectacular views."

Am I grammatically right by saying "Should you dole out any attention to enjoy the scenery around, there were spectacular some. "

Or is the sentence even understandable? (Sorry, I'm not a native English user and still not used to how things work in English.)
    Last edited by tiggerwwc; 13-Dec-2009 at 19:45.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Making a sentence about views

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerwwc View Post
    I'm trying to make a sentence saying something like "If you keep an eye around, you would notice that there are some spectacular views."

Am I grammatically right by saying "Should you dole out any attention to enjoy the scenery around, there were spectacular some. "

Or is the sentence even understandable? (Sorry, I'm not a native English user and still not used to how things work in English.)
    Your first sentence is correctable thus: "If you look around, you will see that there are some spectacular views" Your second sentence is incomprehensible.

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Your first sentence is correctable thus: "If you look around, you will see that there are some spectacular views" Your second sentence is incomprehensible.

First of all, thank you for the correction of the first one.

For my second sentence, maybe I get many things so wrong here. Let me tell you what I thought when I made that sentence.

I am writing an article about the experience of my hiking trip. Since the mountain I hiked was so rocky, I got to pay a lot attention to my step in case of any accidence, and I thus missed those views along the way.

So I am trying to say it like "If you pay some attention to enjoy the view..."

Besides, My English teacher have once taught me about the usage of Inversion.

As she said, "Should you do something" = "if you should do something" = "You may or may not do something, and if you do it..."

So I tried writing "Should you" instead of "If you".

The phrase "dole out" is gotten from the dictionary to express the meaning "give a little", and I think I used it in a wrong way.

Finally, for "there were spectacular some" part, I was considering:

"here is an apple" ---> "If you are looking for apples, here is one."

So I thought it might be okay to replace "some spectacular views(scenry)" with "spectacular some".

Guessing I'm having so many misunderstanding here.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

When climbing a mountain don't pay too much attention to the view or you could become part of the scenery.

Try:
    Since the mountain I hiked was so rocky I had to pay a lot of attention to my footing because I wanted to avoid an accident. Because of that I missed some spectacular views along the way. But I did get back in one piece.
    For the other sentence, try:
    If you wish to enjoy the scenery, there are some spectacular views.
    You can't replace spectacular views with spectacular some. (Actually, you can, but the first one makes sense, and the other one doesn't.)

"When climbing a mountain don't pay too much attention to the view or you could become part of the scenery."

Haha, this one is my favourite, thank you very much!