• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Number of the news

I wonder whether the news can be counted. I mean when referring to the number of the news appeared in the month of January and then when I have to continue my reporting of the next news appeared in the month of February and the ...March and then so on. Can I continue counting the news from news No. 1 and then news No.2 and then news No.3...so on. Is it a good idea to do so or I have to restart the No. of the news from No. 1 again every time I start reporting it the following months.?

Ps Is it correct to say news No.1 or No.1 news? Please clarify it to me.
    Thank you for your time.

2. Senior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

Re: Number of the news

Hello, (I'm not a teacher)

In all case the word 'news' is uncountable. If you want to use it with a indefinite article you must write: a piece of new.

See you later.

3. Junior Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Smile Re: Number of the news

When I talk about the news it is uncountable. for example... I watched the news tonight. News item #1 was about global warming, news item #2 was about economic policy in China, and (news) item #3 was about violence in ice hockey.

We don't talk about news 1, we use news item 1, collectively all news items are "the news".

At a furniture sale we wouldn't say furniture 1, we probably say furniture piece # 1 or piece of furniture # one. for example... Piece of furniture #1 sold for $200.00, while furniture piece #2 sold for $800.00. Collectively, all the furniture pieces (or pieces of furniture) are just furniture.

Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Re: Number of the news

Quote Originally Posted by redcrows View Post
    When I talk about the news it is uncountable. for example... I watched the news tonight. News item #1 was about global warming, news item #2 was about economic policy in China, and (news) item #3 was about violence in ice hockey.

We don't talk about news 1, we use news item 1, collectively all news items are "the news".

At a furniture sale we wouldn't say furniture 1, we probably say furniture piece # 1 or piece of furniture # one. for example... Piece of furniture #1 sold for $200.00, while furniture piece #2 sold for $800.00. Collectively, all the furniture pieces (or pieces of furniture) are just furniture.
    Thank you redcrows,
    Now I understand that I can count any news starting from item No.1. But I wonder whether you can give me more advice about the Item of news which will be appeared on my article of " Learning English from News" in the following months. It's my monthly article that I have to report all interesting news for the readers and then when there comes the time for the news for February.....March. Is it a good idea for me to continue counting the items of the news for the following months or it's better that I restart the news from Item No.1 again for that month
    separately? Any idea!