Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    What`s the difference between "comfort" and "convenience"

    For example - I give this journey 8/10 for comfort and 9/10 for convenience ???

    What is the difference here in this sentence ???

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #2

    Re: What`s the difference between "comfort" and "convenience"

    Quote Originally Posted by began View Post
    For example - I give this journey 8/10 for comfort and 9/10 for convenience ???

    What is the difference here in this sentence ???
    Pleease look at these links:
    comfort - Definitions available for comfort from Cambridge Dictionary Online: Free English Dictionary and Thesaurus
    convenience - Definitions available for convenience from Cambridge Dictionary Online: Free English Dictionary and Thesaurus

  3. #3

    Re: What`s the difference between "comfort" and "convenience"

    Thank you for the reply and the links, but it is still bugging me.

    We have the sentence:

    'I give this journey 8/10 for comfort and 9/10 for convenience.'

    So the journey was

    - comfortable (as a nice place to sit, enough space to spread your legs, warm, clean, soft chair/bed/sofa, without many bumps on the road, etc) .... OK, I get that.

    - convenient - my dictionaries are showing the exact meanings with confortable :(

    What kind of journey is a convenient journey?

    With all the dictionaries that I`m using comfortable and convenient define pretty much very similar things. Maybe I`m missing something.

    Please help me out if you might be aware of what I am missing here :)

    What is a convenient journey ?

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #4

    Re: What`s the difference between "comfort" and "convenience"

    Quote Originally Posted by began View Post
    Thank you for the reply and the links, but it is still bugging me.

    We have the sentence:

    'I give this journey 8/10 for comfort and 9/10 for convenience.'

    So the journey was

    - comfortable (as a nice place to sit, enough space to spread your legs, warm, clean, soft chair/bed/sofa, without many bumps on the road, etc) .... OK, I get that.

    - convenient - my dictionaries are showing the exact meanings with confortable :(

    What kind of journey is a convenient journey?

    With all the dictionaries that I`m using comfortable and convenient define pretty much very similar things. Maybe I`m missing something.

    Please help me out if you might be aware of what I am missing here :)

    What is a convenient journey ?
    A convenient journey is one which starts where and at what time you want it to start, and stops where and at what time you want it to stop.

  5. #5

    Re: What`s the difference between "comfort" and "convenience"

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    A convenient journey is one which starts where and at what time you want it to start, and stops where and at what time you want it to stop.
    Thank you. I guess this makes some more sense now.

  6. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,104
    #6

    Re: What`s the difference between "comfort" and "convenience"

    Quote Originally Posted by began View Post
    Thank you. I guess this makes some more sense now.
    Let's assume the following:
    Your journey was a bus trip.
    You are disabled in some way, that makes it hard to walk up the aisle of the bus.
    The seats at the back are bigger, softer, and they recline.

    The bus driver says: Do you want to sit up the front for convenience, or down the back for comfort?

Similar Threads

  1. difference in meaning?
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-Mar-2010, 09:19
  2. "Difference Between" or "the difference between"
    By cherran in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-Oct-2009, 15:43
  3. What`s the difference between these pairs of words?
    By usignolo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-Aug-2009, 20:45
  4. [Idiom] The difference gets tacked onto the principal?
    By eliang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-Dec-2008, 18:30
  5. mean the difference
    By KLPNO in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Oct-2008, 18:34

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •