• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

new-fangled/gimmick/tat/bring home the bacon/take stock/nosy

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

We recently bought a new kettle. It is one of those new-fangled things that only boil one cup of water at a time, so you end up using less electricity because you are not forever boiling water you won't use.

newfangled = this adjective describes what has existed for only a short time and sugests that something is needlessly novel

At first I thought it was a gimmick, but have to admit that it is a good idea.

gimmick = a significant feature that is obscured, misrepresented, or not readily evident; a catch

Is it because it is Christmas and pennies have to be counted? I can totally understand that - why is it that we spend so much money on such a lot of tat at Christmas?

tat = tastelessness by virtue of being cheap and vulgar, trumpery

But the fact is that affiliate marketing - done correctly - really can bring home the bacon in a big way.

bring home the bacon = earn a living, provide the necessities of life; be successful, accomplish something of value

in a big way = to a great extent, conspicuously

Whatever your religious beliefs, Christmas is a time we can think about others, give back a little something, behave a little better, act a little kinder, forgive a little more, smile, laugh, reflect and take stock of what we've done in this year and what we can do better in the next.

take stock = make an estimate or appraisal

I was being nosy.

nosy = eager to learn, offensively or intrusively curious, inquiring;

Nosy implies impertinent curiosity likened to that of an animal using its nose to examine or probe

He flipped through my letters in his nosy way.

Don't be so nosy!

Getting too nosy may lead a person into trouble.

That policeman should not be nosing around in our garage without a court order.

I don't want our neighbour nosing into our affairs, so keep quiet about our plans.

nosing into = stick one’s nose into

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: new-fangled/gimmick/tat/bring home the bacon/take stock/nosy

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

We recently bought a new kettle. It is one of those new-fangled things that only boil one cup of water at a time, so you end up using less electricity because you are not forever boiling water you won't use.

newfangled = this adjective describes what has existed for only a short time and sugests that something is needlessly novel

At first I thought it was a gimmick, but have to admit that it is a good idea.

gimmick = a significant feature that is obscured, misrepresented, or not readily evident; a catch

Is it because it is Christmas and pennies have to be counted? I can totally understand that - why is it that we spend so much money on such a lot of tat at Christmas?

tat = tastelessness by virtue of being cheap and vulgar, trumpery

But the fact is that affiliate marketing - done correctly - really can bring home the bacon in a big way.

bring home the bacon = earn a living, provide the necessities of life; be successful, accomplish something of value

in a big way = to a great extent, conspicuously

Whatever your religious beliefs, Christmas is a time we can think about others, give back a little something, behave a little better, act a little kinder, forgive a little more, smile, laugh, reflect and take stock of what we've done in this year and what we can do better in the next.
    take stock = make an estimate or appraisal=to think carefully about a situation or event and form an opinion about it, so that you can decide what to do= to make an inventory of stock on hand
    After two years spent teaching abroad, she returned home for a month to take stock of her life.
    After the electoral debacle the party leaders met in the city to take stock of the situation.
    The manager asked the stores assistant to take stock of the first moving items.

I was being nosy.

nosy = eager to learn, offensively or intrusively curious, inquiring;

Nosy implies impertinent curiosity likened to that of an animal using its nose to examine or probe OK

He flipped through my letters in his nosy way. Ok

Don't be so nosy! Ok

Getting too nosy may lead a person into trouble. Ok

That policeman should not be nosing around in our garage without a court order.

I don't want our neighbour nosing into our affairs, so keep quiet about our plans. You can rely on the nosy neighbor to watch your home when you are away.

nosing into = stick one’s nose into=to perceive by the nose so as to meddle or pry

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    Skp