The Novels VS Novels

Why is the author, Dan Brown, using "The Novels" instead of just "Novels" in the left menu on his official page The Official Website of Bestselling Author Dan Brown

Why is the plural form of "novel" with a definite article? Why can it not be without?

My second question deals also with articles.

Why?

The Lost Symbol
    The Da Vinci Code

And why? (no article)

Deception Point
    Digital Fortress

I know that if it is a title of a book, song, newspaper's title you can cut off the article.

But why "The Lost Symbol", "The Da Vinci Code"?

You could say, that there is only one code and one specific symbol. But again, there is one deception point and one digital fortress too.

You could also say, that you don't know which specific "deception point" or "digital fortress" we are talking about, but to me it sounds illogical.

Where is the difference?
    Last edited by thx0110; 16-Dec-2009 at 14:47.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: The Novels VS Novels

Quote Originally Posted by thx0110 View Post
    Why is the author, Dan Brown, using "The Novels" instead of just "Novels" in the left menu on his official page The Official Website of Bestselling Author Dan Brown

Why is the plural form of "novel" with a definite article? Why can it not be without?
    Probably he wants to emphasize that those are "The Novels", that is, exactly those ones, his (special) novels. If he wrote simply "Novels", which I think would not be wrong, those would not be his special novels, but only simple novels. In this context the definite article "the" highlights the noun.

This is just a guess, I wasn't able to access the site you mentioned because it needs high web technology and rejects my simple text-based web browsers (lynx, links and so one).

PS Not a native speaker
    Last edited by Abstract Idea; 16-Dec-2009 at 14:58. Reason: typo correction

Re: The Novels VS Novels

Either form would be ok. Dan Brown wants to emphasise his novels - and no-one has ever claimed that he is a great grammarian.

The Da Vinci Code >> "Da Vinci" is adjectival, and identifies the code as a specific code. The Lost Symbol is indicating a specific symbol.

The titles without the article are generalised phrases - they could be any digital fortress or point of deception.