1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Articles

Hello!

I have a question about articles. I CAN NOT understand it.

Let's see the example from the book I read.

"Allocation of additional capital lets a high level of production be maintained with fewer workers".

I know the rule: if there isn't plural form of the word, then I should put "a" or "the" article. So based on this rule I don't understand:

1. Why "allocation" is without any article
    2. the same with "additional capital"
    3. why with "high level" there is article and why it's exactly indefinite article.
    4. "Prodaction" is without article.

Maybe there is a rule explained in general this theme...

I'll be incredibly grateful for the explanation!

Elena.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Articles

Quote Originally Posted by ElenKO View Post
    Hello!

"Allocation of additional capital lets a high level of production be maintained with fewer workers".

I know the rule: if there isn't plural form of the word, then I should put "a" or "the" article. So based on this rule I don't understand:

It doesn't need one.
    It doesn't need one.
    3. why with "high level" there is article and why it's exactly indefinite article.
    There are many high levels of production, for example, 1.2 times as much, 1.4 times as much. Here they are referring to any high level of production, without specifying it.

4. "Production" is without article.
    It doesn't need one.

Elena.
    If the above is your only rule, then it's not surprising that you are confused. You need some extra refinements to your rule:
    Look here:
    English Definite Article - e Learn English Language

Then you can do a Google search for "English definite article" which will give you lots of pages that will help you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Hello!

4. "Prodaction" is without article.

Elena.
    (Not a teacher)
    With due respect to Raymott, I would like to add something:
    1. Why "allocation" is without any article: "Allocation" is used as an uncountable noun here, so it does not take the indefinite articles "a/an". It also does not take the definite article either as "allocation' is unspecific. It does not tell us what specific allocation with unique reference is but a general one although it is followed by an of-phrase(Please see my explanation at 2 below).
    2. the same with "additional capital": Here, "additional capital" is an uncountable noun, so it does not take any indefinite articles either, nor the definite article. Again, "additional capital" is unspecific and we do not know what specific additional capital is, so the zero article is used.
    3. why with "high level" there is article and why it's exactly indefinite article.: "a" high level, where "level" is a countable noun and a determiner/article is needed. The use of an indefinite article here means "one of the high levels"
    4. "Production" is without article.: "Production" is an uncountable noun. As given above in (1) & (2), it does not take the definite article as it is unspecific but conveys a general sense.

Like other ESL learners, you may be one who is misled by the misguided concept as told by some grammar books that when the noun is modified by an of-phrase, the definite article must be used. In fact, there are many exceptions to this rule. Perhaps, our knowledgeable teachers here could give us some guidance on this.
    Last edited by albertino; 17-Dec-2009 at 03:15.

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Look here:

Then you can do a Google search for "English definite article" which will give you lots of pages that will help you.
    Thank you very much for the answer! I looked the information you recommended (the link) and here is the new question:
    "France is a beautiful country" - why here is the indefinite article used if we are talking about the exact country - France?!

Thanks!
    P.S. By the way, are the articles in my question correct?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Thank you very much for the answer! I looked the information you recommended (the link) and here is the new question:
    "France is a beautiful country" - why here is the indefinite article used if we are talking about the exact country - France?!

Thanks!
    P.S. By the way, are the articles in my question correct?
    France is a beautiful country, it's not the only beautiful country, there are many others equally beautiful.