• Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

recomendee and reportee

Good day!

I sometimes see the words recomendee and reportee but i can't find it in the dictionary. Were those words really exist? tnx a lot teachers.. Please check my grammar as well thank you!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: recomendee and reportee

-ee is being used more and more as what is known as 'a productive suffix' referring to someone who has something done to them, and people add it to more or less any verb - sometimes referring to someone who actively does something. Not everyone does this, and some people disapprove; but it happens. If they do in the case of 'recommend' they should use two Ms.

I have no idea what 'reportee' might mean.*

b

PS * I've thought of two possibilities, using two meanings of the verb 'report'.

Meaning 1: Advise the authorities about someone else's error - example: 'If you do that again I'll report you to the headmaster.' The person 'snitched on' might be said to be the 'reportee': this would fit the model of 'someone who has something done to them' (like employer/-ee). Not everyone would be happy with this usage, but it happens.

Meaning 2: To write a news story. The person who does this is a reporter. I suppose someone who has a story written about them might be described as a 'reportee'; I suspect that even fewer people would be happy with this
    Last edited by BobK; 17-Dec-2009 at 21:58.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Re: recomendee and reportee

On The Jay Leno Show(Tuesday,Dec.15),before the "Earn Your Plug" chapter began ,while Jay was telling Christina Applegate how to earn her plug (she would hug someone while wearing a blindfold), he told her "...you will be the hugger,they will be the huggee...".

I guess this kinda words can be easily made up and be understood by most native speakers.

I wonder if I tell someone something,would I call him/her a tellee? :)