Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Sep 2006
    • Posts: 575
    #1

    to get/getting

    I would like to know the difference between "1" and "2".
    1. It took some time to get used to working with each other.
    2. It took some time getting used to working with each other.
    Last edited by wowenglish1; 18-Dec-2009 at 14:16.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,596
    #2

    Re: to get/getting

    Quote Originally Posted by wowenglish1 View Post
    I would like to know the difference between "1" and "2".
    1. It took some time to get used to working with each other.
    2. It took some time getting use to working with each other.
    2 Is incorrect.

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #3

    Re: to get/getting

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    2 Is incorrect.
    But you've changed 2, bhai!
    I'd say the original two mean close enough to the same thing not to bother with the difference.

  3. Nightmare85's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,333
    #4

    Re: to get/getting

    Why "to working"?
    Either "to work" or "working", or not

    Or does it belong to the use(d) and is independend of working?

    Cheers!


    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 576
    #5

    Re: to get/getting

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    Why "to working"?
    Either "to work" or "working", or not

    Or does it belong to the use(d) and is independend of working?

    Cheers!
    (Not a teacher)

    Don't confuse the progressive form of a verb with the gerund. The phrase 'used to' is followed by a noun phrase. Here, "working" is the gerund, i.e. it is a noun, not a verb.

    Compare it with another sentence using 'used to' that doesn't have a gerund; "She was used to her sore throat by now."

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,596
    #6

    Re: to get/getting

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    But you've changed 2, bhai!
    I'd say the original two mean close enough to the same thing not to bother with the difference.
    I didn't change it the OP edited it, he added a "d" after I posted. I agree with you, with that alteration, they mean the same.

  5. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #7

    Re: to get/getting

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I didn't change it the OP edited it, he added a "d" after I posted. I agree with you, with that alteration, they mean the same.
    Oh, I see.
    This is an excellent example of a situation where "Reason for editing" should be filled out.
    I hope wowenglish1 and other posters realize that editing their posts after they've been answered can make a liar out of the repliers.

Similar Threads

  1. to get/getting
    By wowenglish1 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-Dec-2009, 11:28
  2. She took an hour to get/getting ready.
    By sitifan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-Aug-2008, 20:51

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •