• Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

• Post Thanks / Like

incense/fly off the handle/curn(v)/curb(n)/turn out

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Mr. Karzai, the officials said, became incensed when he learned of the plan and was told it had been put forth by Mr. Galbraith, who had been installed in his position with the strong backing of Richard C. Holbrooke, the top American envoy to Afghanistan.

incense = to anger or infuriate

He had every opportunity to waste time, get sick, eat gluttonously and become overweight, drink and experience a hangover, "fly off the handle" in anger, or attack others when someone pricked His vanity.

fly off the handle = lose one's temper

We have to curb our natural appetites.

I usually manage to curb my anger when I'm at home, but at work I often don't succeed.

Negotiators have all but completed a sweeping deal that would compensate countries for preserving forests, and in some cases, other natural landscapes like peat soils, swamps and fields that play a crucial role in curbing climate change.

curb = subdue

He has to put a curb on his anger.

We have to put a curb on smb.'s spending

curb (n) = a horse's bit with an attached chain or strap to check the horse (figurative meaning = something that checks or restrains)

The agreement for the program, if signed as expected, may turn out to be the most significant achievement to come out of the Copenhagen climate talks, providing a system through which countries can be paid for conserving disappearing natural assets based on their contribution to reducing emissions.

turn out = prove to be in the result or end

Thank you for your efforts.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: incense/fly off the handle/curn(v)/curb(n)/turn out

It looks good to me. I would say that curb means to restrain or control or manage. (To me, subdue has connotations of overcoming an opponent and forcing him to submit to you.) I would not say that you could curb climate change (although apparently somebody did). I think you might want to prevent it (if that's possible).

turn out to be - prove to be. That turned out to be the best decision I ever made. That turned out to be one of the biggest mistakes I ever made.